The long wait is finally over as an official Android 4.1.1-based CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROM has now been released for the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100. If you own a Galaxy S2 and have almost lost all hope for this ROM to come out, your prayers have been answered, and today, you will have the chance to install the much-awaited ROM on your phone.
XDA Developers member codeworkx is the main man behind the smiles on your faces now. He recently released a preview build of the Android 4.1.1 CM10 ROM. CM10 has both Jelly Bean's and CyanogenMod's goodness, which means a smoother interface, advanced voice recognition, improved performance, and customization options.
This ROM is still in its early stages so it may still carry a few bugs and issues and lesser customization options. In a few days or so, this ROM will be updated and improved so do check the official development page once in a while.
Follow the requirements and instructions below to learn how to upgrade the Galaxy S2 I9100 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2, model number GT-I9100. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 running on Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Your phone's USB cable.
- Download the following to your computer:
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the CM10 ROM and the GApps package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch your phone off and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together until recovery boots.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card and select Choose ZIP from SD card. Locate the CM10 ROM file and select it. Confirming the action on the next screen will start installing the ROM to your phone.
- After installing the ROM, install the GApps (Google Apps) package in the same manner as in step 3.
- Once installation is done, select Go back.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main recovery menu and choose Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed CM10 ROM.
Great job! Your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 is now running CyanogenMod 10 based on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. Any changes you've noticed after installing the ROM? Let us know your thoughts through commenting below.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.