Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Android: The first 64MP smartphone and a new Wear OS king
This week we got our first look at the Realme XT, the first device to sport Samsung’s 64MP camera sensor. In our hands-on time with the device, we were impressed with the Google Pixel-like images it produced. We’ll find out soon if the next device with the sensor, the Redmi Note 8 Pro, can produce similar results.
As for non-smartphones, we checked out several other devices, including a best-in-class Wear OS smartwatch, the Fitbit Versa 2 with Amazon Alexa, an ultra-portable smartphone gimbal, and an affordable pair of true-wireless earbuds.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- Realme XT: Hands-on with the world’s first 64MP smartphone — The megapixel-wars are back! So what do we make of the world’s first 64MP smartphone?
- Fairphone 3 hands-on: Modular, repairable, five years of support — The Fairphone 3 presents an option for a new smartphone without obsolescence built-in.
- Hands down, this is the best Wear OS smartwatch you can buy — Read our full Fossil Gen 5 Smartwatch review to find out why this is the best Wear OS watch you can buy.
- Oppo Reno 2 hands-on: Oozing style — The Oppo Reno 2 has a razor sharp focus on design, but how does the rest of the package fare?
- Realme 5 review: Great design and versatile cameras — Good looks and versatile cameras make the Realme 5 a great entry-level option.
- Hands-on: Fitbit Versa 2 adds Alexa, improves sleep tracking and display — More refined and more powerful than ever thanks to Alexa and advanced fitness features.
- Mobvoi TicPods Free review: These tick the right boxes — The TicPods Free give more expensive true wireless earbuds a run for their money.
- OnePlus opens new R&D center in India: Here’s everything you need to know — Based in Hyderabad, the OnePlus R&D center is set to become the company’s biggest worldwide.
- How to become an Associate Android Developer, and is it worth it? — We dive into Android Associate Developer certification. Enhance your developer career!
- Dear iPhone users: Please don’t forget that a green bubble is a person — iPhone users are annoyed by green bubbles in their iMessage feed. But it’s not just a bubble, it’s a human.
Learn more on the Android Authority Podcast
This week on the podcast we were joined by C. Scott Brown to talk about the Fairphone 3, plus our expectations for IFA in Berlin and more! Listen to the full episode below.
Want to receive the weekly podcast on your device? Subscribe using your favorite player below!
Who wants to win a ZTE Axon 10 Pro?
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.