Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Android: RIP LG G series, Xiaomi Mi 10 review, Galaxy S20 giveaway
RIP LG G series
LG isn’t as much of a powerhouse in the Android phone market as they used to be. They’re still one of the top players, but their strategies and offerings have not propelled them into the lead. They obviously believe it’s time for a change, hence, we get to say goodbye to the G Series devices. That’s a long line of devices that shook the market in the early days, and maintained some of the best mobile audio offerings in the latter years.
LG maintained a lead in mobile audio by not only keeping the headphone jack on most devices, but also including their Quad DAC on many phones. Over-simplifying things, the Quad DAC enables LG devices to drive some serious headphones, the kinds of cans that other phones require an external amp to manage, making the LG G and V series phones ideal for wired headphone fans.
If you’ve jumped on the Bluetooth headphone bandwagon, LG’s Quad DAC technology is not an advantage for you. LG does well with Bluetooth audio, but with the increasing popularity of wireless audio, users are not intrigued by the G and V series selling point of superb wired audio. We hope LG continues to support quality wired audio, but for now we must say goodbye to the G series, and say hello to the new Velvet.
Speaking of things being discontinued at LG, we suspect one of their media divisions has lost their right to post on social media, if not their jobs. This after an embarrassing promotion using the LG V60 for upskirt photography. Stuff like this was never really appropriate, but companies can expect swift backlash from the global community for trying it again, and that’s probably a good thing.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- Don’t lie to me! – 8 marketing tricks phone brands should stop using right now
- Do you own your stuff? – We don’t own our digital lives and it’s time we started caring about it
- Zoom not working? – Zoom will cut you off if you don’t update before May 30
- Power on the cheap – Redmi 10X series revealed: The cheapest 5G phones around
- Mid-range for the win – We asked, you told us: You are SUPER psyched for the Pixel 4a
- Still portless – 2020 Apple MacBook Air review: A premium laptop for the masses
- 5nm Exynos – Samsung Galaxy Note 20 series could get a massive chipset upgrade
- YouFixIt – Problems with the OnePlus 8 Pro and how to fix them
- Contact customer support – Fitbit issues statement on bricked Ionic watches after recent update
- Good and all, but… – Sony Xperia 1 II gets release date and absurdly high price
- Apps and more apps in our Android Apps Weekly – Word Show, Citra Emulator (3DS), and more apps hit the market this week.
From around the network
- Best drones under $800 – Drone Rush
- Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 vs. Sony WH-1000XM3 – SoundGuys
- Best headphones for bass – SoundGuys
Deals of the week:
- Our pick for device deal of the week: Samsung Galaxy phone deals
- Our AA TechDeals deal of the week: Complete Python coding certificate
Samsung Galaxy S20 international giveaway
This week, we’re giving away a brand new Samsung Galaxy S20 smartphone. Enter this week’s Sunday giveaway for your chance to win! Courtesy of the AA Deals Store.
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.