Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
This week in Android: Google fails, Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus giveaway
Thanks Hadlee, we feel the same way about Google this week.
Google I/O week is usually the best week of the year for Google and Android, but the original timing of the cancelled 2020 event marks another epic fail, and this one isn’t to blame on a virus, no, Google themselves are to blame.
Seemingly independent of the Pixel team news, we did not see the Pixel 4a launch this week, we're under the impression it is delayed until June.
Reports and speculation swirled around the industry after some key members of Google’s smartphone team told the company where to go and how to get there. Both the Google Pixel Manager and the man credited with the success of the Pixel cameras have walked out. The report says that Rick Osterloh and others were disappointed in the Pixel 4 even before it launched.
We understand, we have some Pixel gripes as well. And now we’re worried about the future of Google phones.
Google is also pulling the plug on Google Play Music, and most of us are not happy about that. I suppose Google’s research says that people want streaming services, and we can’t deny that YouTube is a beast, but is YouTube Music the future of audio that we really want? We’ll try to be impartial in our news coverage, but make no mistake, the vast majority of Android Authority writers I spoke to are not happy about this, myself included. While most of us will give YouTube Music a try to see what it’s all about, almost all of us are already migrating to a new permanent solution for our music. Funny thing, you agree with us. So just what is Google thinking?!?
Their smartphone efforts need some attention, but that may be the least of Google’s concerns in the near future, there is a good chance that the U.S. Justine Department will launch a new antitrust investigation into the company. The DOJ is concerned about Google’s search and ad business, so maybe there is still hope for a Pixel 5 with some real specs. Oh, never mind.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- From China, with love – We asked, you told us: Xiaomi is the next Huawei
- Speaking of… – These are the best Xiaomi phones you can buy
- Not like incognito – Can the FBI access your browser history if you use a VPN?
- OnePlus philosophy – Is the Poco F2 Pro still the ultimate flagship killer?
- How much?!? – Pixel 4a price leak: Google could be bringing the fight to 2020 iPhone SE
- That’s a flagship, folks – Latest Galaxy Note 20 leak drops a ton of apparent specs
- On the move – Mi Band maker Huami teases what could be a rugged Amazfit smartwatch
- Wait, you still like it? – Google Pixel 4 XL revisited: The good and bad after six months
- Better than Pixel? – Samsung’s new A series phone takes the Galaxy A21 to the next level
- Do you even play? – 7 months on, is Google Stadia worth using?
- Icarus, act 2 – The Galaxy S line isn’t selling well anymore, and that could be a good thing
- Apps and more apps in our Android Apps Weekly – Tropico Blast, KartRider Rush+ and more apps hit the market this week.
From around the network
- DJI launches Matrice 300 RTK for your commercial drone needs – Drone Rush
- Forced to switch: RIP Google Play Music – SoundGuys
- Best music streaming services – SoundGuys
Deals of the week:
Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus international giveaway – Well rounded, and soon to be yours
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.