Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Get the Android N preview on your Sony Xperia Z3
Been wanting to give Android N a whirl, but you’re not a Nexus owner? Well, now you’re in luck! Well, you’re in luck if you’re a Sony Xperia Z3. Well, actually you’re in luck if your Xperia Z3 is specifically a D6603 or D6653 model. But hey! If you’re one of these guys, then hooray for you!
So, what do you need to do to get up and running? Sony has provided a handy guide:
- Connect your compatible Z3 device to a computer with a USB cable.
- Xperia Companion will open automatically
- Make sure you have Xperia Companion version 1.1.24 or later. If not, download the latest version from here.
- Hold down the ALT key on your computer and click on Software repair on the home screen, then follow the guide.
- You’ll be asked to disconnect and turn off your device, then to reconnect whilst holding down the volume down key to start the software flashing.
- You can return to factory settings at any time by connecting back to Xperia Companion and following the Software repair
Now you’ll get to play around with all the cool features we’ve been seeing on Android N as of late. This includes the long-awaited multi-window functionality that lets you display two apps on the screen simultaneously. Bundled notifications aim to save battery life and make managing your device more efficient, and direct reply notifications will allow you to respond to messages from directly within the notifications shade. We’re also seeing quite a few efficiency augmentations, and who knows what’s coming down the pipe next?
What are your initial impressions of Android N? One small step for Android or one giant leap for the OS? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below, and as always be sure to stay tuned to Android Authority for all the updates on Android N and beyond.