Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: You definitely think Sony's new flagships are hot
Sony’s latest round of flagships finally made their debut this month. The Sony Xperia 1 III and Sony Xperia 5 III now lead the line for the Japanese firm. But despite their stacked feature set, they may arrive with hefty price tags.
With that being said, we asked you what you think of Sony’s new flagships. Are they hot or not? Here’s what you told us.
What do you think of the Xperia 1 III and 5 III?
There was no contest here. With over 1,300 votes tallied, nearly 90% of Android Authority readers think Sony’s new flagships are “hot.”
These readers have plenty of evidence to back up their argument, too. The Sony Xperia 1 III and Xperia 5 III see screen refresh rate upgrades to 120Hz. Both phones also now pack a variable telephoto lens. Other fan favorites, like the 3.5mm headphone jack, side-mounted fingerprint sensor, and flagship Qualcomm silicon return.
Not everyone feels this way, though. Just 10.6% of readers believe the phones are nothing to write home about. These readers may have some ammo, too. Sony hasn’t really pushed the boat out on design, with both devices starkly reminiscent of their predecessors. Fast charging is limited to 30W — decidedly slower than speeds offered by the likes of Xiaomi and OPPO. Sony’s flagships will also likely remain steep investments, too.
Beyond the poll itself, readers had plenty to talk about, too.
Here’s what you had to say
- EasyCare: Appreciate the details such as 3-year battery health, headphone jack, micro-SD card slot and in-box charger. For many times, insecure Android manufacturers follow Apple moves for no good reason.
- Farhan Ahmad Tajuddin: I wonder how the battery life for the 1 iii would be considering that it has 4K screen resolution with 120Hz screen refresh rate. GSMArena managed to clock 83h of battery endurance rating from last year’s 1 ii, and that was with the normal 60Hz refresh rate.
- Konstantin Cherkezov: I think that this is a step in the right path. Sony might have started to learn from their mistakes.
- c.: The Xperia 1 iii looks amazing, especially with the variables 3-5x zoom. If the software experience is going to be good, I might consider this phone since I’ll be desperately missing the micro sd card if I get an S21, but Samsung’s software and now 3 years of major Android updates is keeping me locked in with an S20.
- Joe Black: It’s the opposite of the previous generation where I believe Xperia 1 II was a lesser phone compared to Xperia 5 II. But considering how much worse they made Xperia 5 III this year, 1 III suddenly looks like a better choice.
That’s it for this poll. Thanks for your votes and comments. Have any additional thoughts on the Sony flagships or the results? Be sure to drop them down below.