Sony launched its PlayStation 5 game console on November 12, 2020. Before the launch, the company announced a long overdue rebranding of its first-party game studios brand. Previously known by the long and tongue-twisting Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios name, the new brand is now simply PlayStation Studios.
Read more: PlayStation 5 pricing
All PlayStation 5 games that come from Sony’s first-party development studios will be under the new PlayStation Studios brand name. In addition, all games released by PlayStation Studios teams will get a cool opening animation as well, showing some of the PlayStation’s most well-known characters.
In case you are wondering, PlayStation Studios teams include Naughty Dog (the Uncharted and The Last of Us series), Insomniac Games (Resistance, Spider-Man), Sucker Punch (Infamous) and Guerrilla Games (Horizon Zero Dawn). The new branding and animation was not used for Sony’s last two major PS4 releases; Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us: Part 2 and Sucker Punch’s Ghost of Tsushima. GamesIndustry.biz reports that the brand will also be used by developers not owned by Sony, but are working on first-party PS5 titles.
In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz about the new brand, Eric Lempel, senior vice president and head of global marketing at Sony Interactive Entertainment, stated that part of the reason for the brand change was that many consumers were unaware that great games like the Uncharted series, Spider-Man, and Horizon: Zero Dawn came directly from its studios.
It’s likely that Sony also wanted to simplify the PlayStation Studios brand in part because rival Microsoft did the same thing. The company renamed its first-party studio’s group from Microsoft Studios to Xbox Game Studios in 2019. Both brand changes clearly identify games made or published directly by Sony and Microsoft as PlayStation and Xbox titles, respectively.
PlayStation Studios games announced for PS5
Here’s the current list of Sony’s PlayStation Studios games that have been announced for release on the PS5 console:
- Astro’s Playroom – Japan Studio (PS5 launch game)
- Demon’s Souls – Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio (PS5 launch game)
- Destruction AllStars – Lucid Games (Launched Feb 2, 2021)
- Gran Turismo 7 – Polyphony Digital (launch date TBD)
- God of War: Ragnarok – (launch date TBD)
- Horizon Forbidden West – Guerrilla Games (launch date TBD)
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales – Insomniac Games (PS5 launch game)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart – Insomniac Games (launch date TBD)
- Returnal – Housemarque (Launch date of April 30, 2021)
- Sackboy A Big Adventure – Sumo Digital (PS5 launch game)
We will be updating this list with more games as they are announced.