Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Moto G4 leak: better camera, NFC + more on the rumored all-metal Moto X4
For a fair part of 2016, images have been floating around the internet of a mysterious Mototola-made smartphone that has been more or less branded as the new Moto G. Motorola itself, of course, has been mum on the matter. Something is going to happen soon though, as evident by the OEM’s recent PR circulation of a drumming up hype for a planned event in India to be held on May 17th.
A Tweet from Roland Quandt points to an import listing for India’s Zauba database:
As can be seen above, several key details can be gleaned:
- The Moto G (4th Edition) is alledegly being called “Athene” internally.
- There will apparently be two configurations of the Moto G (4th) Edition retail, a lower-end model with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of on-board storage, and a higher end-model with 3GB RAM/32GB of on-board storage.
- The lower end model will have a 13-megapixel rear camera with laser focus and auto focus, and the higher end model will have a 16-megapixel camera with laser focus and auto focus.
- Both models will have a 5-megapixel front facing camera.
Mr. Quandt then Tweeted a follow-up with another link to Zauba, from today:
And here is the key data from the link embedded:
|Date||HS Code||Description||Origin Country||Port of Discharge||Unit||Quantity||Value (INR)||Per Unit (INR)|
|4-May-2016||85171290||(FOC) MOTOROLA, XT1643, RETAIL, BLK, IN, 32GB (AP3734AE7K8)(MOTOROLA MOTO G)||China||Banglore Air Cargo||NOS||30||326,439||10,881|
|4-May-2016||85171290||(FOC) MOTORALA,XT1643, RETAIL,WHT, IN, 32GB (AP3734AD1K8) (MOTOROLA MOTO G)||China||Banglore Air Cargo||NOS||30||325,162||10,839|
This listing gives some additional information:
- There will be a Black color retail model and a White color retail model.
- The 32GB model will be a retail configuration.
- The phones will likely be sold as item number XT1643.
And just for good measure, a user replying to yet another Tweet by Mr. Quandt claims to have the entire system dump for the product and posted this:
While all of this should technically be taken with a grain of salt, the fact that the data comes from official import listing databases would imply a more legitimate nature to the leak. Still, companies can send products around the world for testing any time they want, so this, in and of itself, is not confirmation of anything per se.
Still, there is a larger question to ask, namely: is the lower-end model going to be the Moto G (4th Edition) and the higher end model the Moto G4 Pro, or will the Pro in fact be a totally different product entirely? In the last Tweet listed, it states that the Moto G4 Pro, while still called Althene, will go by product number XT1643.
Side Note: Moto X
Before signing off, there is one more quick bit to point out, a recent Tweet from Evan Blass, aka @evleaks:
Could this indeed be what the new Moto X will look like?
Regarding the Moto G4, we thus wait until more leaks can be let loose, or until the more traditional way of finding out: Motorola’s press event on the 17th. Regarding the Moto X however, it is currently unknown as to when an unveiling event would take place.
What do you think? Is the Moto G4 looking good? Leave your comments below!