With over 25 million subscribers across its on-demand and live TV plans, Hulu is one of the largest and more recognizable streaming services around. Even with such a large subscriber base, however, Hulu isn’t immune to issues. Let’s take a look at what you can do if Hulu isn’t working well for you.
Hulu not working: Video issues
Whether it’s issues with buffering or not being able to access Hulu’s website, there are several issues you might encounter with video. Here are some specific video issues you might have and how to solve them.
Buffering and playback issues
- Close the Hulu app. You can also force-close the app on certain smart devices.
- Power cycle your device. You can also power cycle your modem and router, but that’s not always necessary.
- Check and improve your connection. Hulu recommends speedof.me for speed tests. You can also contact your internet service provider (ISP) if your speeds are too slow.
- Check for app and system updates. Make sure you have the latest version of Hulu and the latest operating system version for your device.
- Clear cache and data. A lack of space might be causing some problems, so clear out the temporary files out.
- Uninstall and reinstall Hulu. As a last resort, delete Hulu from your device and download it again.
Streaming issues on Hulu.com
- Check the system requirements. Your computer must run Mac OS X 10.9 or above, Windows 10, or Chrome OS. Your browser must be Safari 11 or above, Firefox 65 or above, Chrome 69 or above, or Microsoft Edge on Windows 10. Also, make sure to enable HTML5.
- Check and improve your connection.
- Power cycle your device.
- Clear the browser cache. Browsers create temporary files that you can delete from time to time.
- Use a private or incognito window. These windows don’t store cookies and cached files. Also, you might have an extension that’s causing some issues.
- Use a different browser. You might just have to use a different browser to stream on Hulu’s website.
Advertisement issues on Hulu.com
- Disable ad-blocking software. Most ad blockers let you whitelist certain websites, so you can either disable ad blockers completely or only allow certain websites to display ads.
- Clear the browser cache. From there, force-quit the browser and re-open it.
- Use a different browser.
Hulu not working: Audio issues
It’s very awkward to see a streaming video and not hear anything. Here are some audio issues and what you can do to solve them:
Issues with no audio, too loud or low audio, or out-of-sync audio
- Check out other shows or movies. You’ll want to see if the audio issue is observable in one video or multiple videos.
- Check your audio settings. Make sure you didn’t accidentally mute your audio and forget to unmute it. Similarly, see if the volume is set too high or low.
- Adjust the HDMI cable. In some cases, you can blame a faulty HDMI cable or port. To make sure, connect the HDMI cable to another port on your TV or display. Also, use the same HDMI cable on a different display and reverse the ends of the HDMI cable.
- Don’t use external speakers. The blame might also lie on the external speakers. Some devices or shows don’t support surround sound, so switch the audio settings to Stereo and unplug the external speakers.
Issues with the audio being in a different language
- Check the language settings on Hulu. Some shows and movies support different languages. Make sure you pick the language you want by clicking or tapping the gear wheel icon and selecting a language.
- Check the language settings on your device. Make sure that your device’s language is what you want it to be.
- Pick the correct show version. Some shows, such as South Park, feature separate show pages for English and Spanish. Pick the version in the language you want to listen to the show in.
These are some of the more common issues you might encounter or may have encountered with Hulu. If you find that the steps don’t work for you, reach out to Hulu’s customer support. Alternatively, you can visit the Hulu subreddit on Reddit to see if anyone is experiencing similar issues.
You can also let us know in the comments if you encountered issues with Hulu and solved them.