Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: Here's how much you'd spend to protect your smartphone
Phone cases come in all shapes and sizes, for the clumsiest among us or those simply looking to inject some personality into their smartphones. But how much cash do our readers invest in these phone protectors?
We posed this question in a recent poll, and the results are now in.
How much would you pay for a phone case?
This poll went live on January 28 and garnered more than 1,500 responses at the time of this writing. Understandably, most of our readers prefer to spend the least amount of money possible to protect their devices.
More than 28% of readers would spend “less than $10” on a phone case, while 21.4% claim they’d spend between $10 and $14.99. Over 15% of voters would buy a case priced between $15 and $19.99. In other terms, 65% of respondents would spend less than $19.99 on a phone case.
There are some at the other end of the spectrum, too. Remarkably, 7% of readers would spend “$50 or more” on a phone case, while 12.3% would drop between $30 and $49.99 to protect their precious phone.
Notably, it’s important to remember that specialized phone cases can run extremely expensive. Those seeking rugged cases for protection out in the wilderness might need to drop a large sum. Those seeking more customizable cases may be in the same boat. However, those rocking cheaper phones or are confident that they needn’t extreme levels of device protection are probably satisfied with a simple, affordable TPU case. Ultimately, picking a suitable phone case, and forking out for it, is determined by user specifics. There’s no one-case-fits-all solution.
- dagger906: Identical cases at Dollar Tree (which ironically now cost more than a dollar) sell for $20 elsewhere. How much you’re willing to pay for a case is a moot point when you pay $20 on AliExpress for a carbon fiber case worth $20 or pay $20 on Amazon for a rebranded Dollar Tree plastic case worth $1.25.
- daftrok: It’s plastic my dude. If you spend more than $20 you should only do so if your device is not as popular as an iPhone or Samsung or if you need a Unicorn Beetle. Otherwise, you are spending too much.
- topher: You can get a good quality case for under $15. Always.
- Stanley Kubrick: Considering what many of us are willing to sacrifice for a phone, 20-50 for a case is well worth it.
- Tony Talks: Most I usually pay for my cases is $5 to $10 but my most recent one here is $40. Absolutely love the materials and aesthetics.
- Adrian: I’m particular about my cases. I think most cases are butt ugly so I’m always willing to spend a little more to get one with decent protection with a fantastic look. It also had to feel good in the hand. It’s not enough (for me) just to have any case on my phone. I usually have two, a more rugged one for hiking and a more stylish one for day to day or nights out (when that was a thing).
That’s it for this poll. Thanks for your votes and comments. Have anything else to share about your phone case preferences or the poll results? Drop a comment below.