Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Galaxy Fold 2 patents, and more tech news you need to know today
Here’s your daily tech digest, by way of the DGiT Daily newsletter, for Thursday, August 29, 2019!
1. Samsung Galaxy Fold 2: new, just-filed patents intrigue
No one on the planet has yet been able to buy and own a Samsung Galaxy Fold, yet. But, already, 3D product renders of its successor have been released.
Dutch tech site LetsGoDigital has based the following renders off three key patents from Samsung filed within the past two weeks.
That’s allowed for some intriguing renders to follow Samsung’s lead and evolve the Fold into the Fold 2, with three model design options:
Same but different:
- In the above image, Model B and C are the most like the current Galaxy Fold, with a small front screen, a triple camera on the back, and the device opening out into a larger tablet-sized display.
- The notch is a big difference. Model B has a svelte notch for cameras and other tech on the top right of the device. Model C has it at the top-left of the device, the only difference between these two designs/patents.
- Model A is much more different, and looks something like this when imagined as a real device:
- While the screen when folded out remains very similar, it folds on the horizontal, not vertical.
- That means the front of the device, where you might expect a phone, is a landscape looking device, somewhat similar to an old-style PDA.
- Or perhaps an old Nintendo game cartridge, with a screen? Or is that being unkind?
- In any case, it doesn’t look particularly like a phone that you can hold to your ear that turns into a tablet, but LetsGoDigital insists Samsung is strongly considering releasing a horizontal-fold device as part of their portfolio of devices.
2. After all the HUAWEI ban/un-ban/half-ban unknowns, it appears that HUAWEI is finally stuck: Google has reportedly said the HUAWEI Mate 30, apparently launching next month, can’t use Google’s apps or services. In the West, that’s a problem (Android Authority).
3. I had some time with the Fairphone 3 and here are my initial thoughts. (The comments are fun too.) (Android Authority).
4. Vivo Nex 3 video shows 5G, capacitive buttons, insane display, headphone jack (Android Authority).
5. Redmi Note 8 series announced: Quad cameras, capable silicon on a budget (Android Authority).
6. Moto G8 / G8 Plus tipped to offer solid power boost, triple cameras (Android Authority).
9. Apple has apologized for the Siri recordings snooping debacle, making it opt-in for users, and says it won’t retain recordings any more (Daring Fireball). Boy did Apple get it wrong, but boy Apple has responded well. Overall, though, don’t get a device that can listen to you by mistake if you absolutely value your privacy.
10. A man in Australia went fishing while dangling from a giant homemade drone (ABC News).
11. Now there’s a Vantablack car (BMW).
DGiT Daily: Your Tech Resource
The DGiT Daily delivers a daily email that keeps you ahead of the curve for all tech news, opinions, and links to what’s going down in the planet’s most important field. You get all the context and insight you need, and all with a touch of fun, and the daily fun element that you otherwise miss.