Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: Just about everyone uses dark mode
Dark mode seems to be everywhere nowadays. I find myself turning it on inside individual apps and setting my system theme to dark. I even use dark mode in Slack while I’m working.
According to our latest poll, it appears I’m not nearly the only one who’s all-in on dark mode.
Do you use dark mode on your phone?
Out of 2,514 total votes, an overwhelming 81.9% of Android Authority readers use dark mode on their phones, in apps, and wherever else it’s available. 9.9% said they’re somewhere in between dark and light mode, meaning 91.8% of voters use some form of dark mode on their smartphones. Just 8.2% said they don’t use dark mode at all.
I don’t blame those 206 voters for not using dark mode at all. Reading dark text on a white background makes things easier to comprehend and can help you avoid the dreaded brightburn.
Here’s what you had to say
Here are some of the best comments from last week’s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:
- daftrok: Seriously who doesn’t use dark mode? We are looking at these things all day. I actually hate Google for doing dark grey instead of just straight up black like Samsung does.
- Guilherme Taffarel Bergamin: In fact, I have set my mobile chrome’s experimental force dark mode flag on and I’m reading this page in an automatic dark mode that works surprisingly well on most websites.
- Yakubu Tukur: I use dark mode wherever possible but in some apps, what you get is not dark at all. It can be called gray at best
Why is it so difficult to give us pure black even in 2020 ? Microsoft is the master of dark mode everywhere.
- DBS: Yes. Everywhere I can. But not Google’s sh*t pseudo-Dark theme. I use Substratum to have a proper Dark Theme in each app, one that uses mostly black.
- Dushu VacadePlus: Wherever I have the option :) I also use Force Dark Mode on my Samsung S10, which makes almost every app dark. I actually prefer Google’s dark grey instead of pure black, though.
- Niraj Bhatt: i like dark mode(pure black), but i still use light theme as i read a lot on my phone and dark mode is not good for that!
- sonicsynth2000: health/device benefits of dark modes aside, I just like the darker aesthetic it brings
- Dee Troublesome: Dark mode all the time every time 😈 lol
- reggjoo: I use dark mode, and love it in selective mode. I keep it selective, because not all dark modes have the same quality of design. Used to use substratum to get the look I wanted, but most things going dark, I don’t really feel the need for it anymore(only way I’d use it now, is for that stubborn gmail). I use my roms dark mode setting (which is better than google’s) and use google’s dark settings only in the non native google apps. I have no trouble getting this website in dark, with white text, and green headers, + dark grey backgrounds for boxes. Don’t know if it’s part of my setup, or aa did it their selves.
- roaduardoOf course I do. I’m not a psycho.
That’s it for this week. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below!