Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Chromecast with Google TV gets a fresh update after 7 months
- The Chromecast with Google TV is getting a new update after seven long months.
- It still doesn’t update the device to Android 11, let alone Android 12.
- The update brings the May 2022 security patch and improvements.
The Chromecast with Google TV is finally getting a new update seven months after the previous one rolled out. You’d think Google would roll out the latest Android TV version to its own flagship hardware. After all, the 2015 Nvidia Shield TV is running Android 11 now. Sadly, that isn’t the case.
According to 9to5Google, the latest update for the Chromecast with Google TV brings build number QTS1.220504.008. The software is still based on Android 10 and updates the October 2021 security patch to May 2022. Google also lists a handful of improvements for the latest update. These include the following:
- Platform improvements to help some apps, with HDR 4K video playing and DRM video playback
- Additional bug fixes and performance improvements
- Additional improvements to Wi-Fi/Bluetooth
So if you were waiting for Android 12 to hit your Chromecast or even Android 11, you might have to wait a couple of months more before that happens.
Meanwhile, the latest OTA is 140MB in size. To download the update, select your profile image in the top-right corner of the screen and head to Settings > System > About > System update.