The short answer, and the great news, is that yes, you can easily watch Amazon Prime Video on Chromecast now. This wasn’t always the case, and this guide would have been a complicated workaround. Luckily, Google and Amazon seem to have buried the hatchet, and the Prime Video Android app now has the cast button. Here’s what you need to know.
How to watch Amazon Prime Video on a Chromecast
From a smartphone or tablet
This post assumes that you have a Chromecast connected to a TV and set up already. If not, check out our guide on how to set up a Chromecast using any platform. You will also need an Amazon Prime or Prime Video subscription.
- Make sure that the Amazon Prime Video app on your phone is updated. The update that introduced the ability to cast to a Chromecast was available from July 9, 2019, on the Google Play Store.
- When you open the app for the first time after the update, you will see a short introduction and how-to to start casting from your phone.
- You’ll now see a large cast icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap on the icon and select the Chromecast device you want to connect to.
- Now select the movie or TV show you want to watch and you will be able to enjoy it on your television screen.
- Keep in mind that the Cast icon is different from the “Watch on” button that you might see under a video selection. This button is to watch content on a Fire TV device. To connect to a Chromecast, the button will be at the bottom right corner of the screen.
From a PC
You will need to download and install the Google Chrome browser to able to cast Prime Video from your PC to a Chromecast.
- Open the Prime Video website on Google Chrome.
- Select a movie or TV show you want to watch and press play.
- Pause it and ensure that you don’t switch to full screen.
- In the browser, click on the three vertical dots at the top right corner to open the menu.
- Click on “Cast…” and select the Chromecast you want to connect to.
- The laptop screen will now be mirrored on your television.
And that’s how easy it is to watch Amazon Prime on your Chromecast. Any questions? Sound off in the comments.