Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Can you watch Amazon Prime Video on a Chromecast?
The short answer, and the great news, is that yes, you can easily watch Amazon Prime Video on Chromecast now. This wasn’t always the case, and this guide would have offered a complicated workaround. Luckily, Google and Amazon buried the hatchet a few years ago, and the Prime Video Android app now has the cast button. Here’s what you need to know.
How to watch Amazon Prime Video on a Chromecast
How exactly you go about casting Prime Video depends on which device you’re using. Here are the instructions for each type of device:
From a smartphone or tablet
This post assumes that you already have a Chromecast connected to a TV and set up.
You will also need an active Amazon Prime or Prime Video subscription.
- Make sure that the Amazon Prime Video app on your phone has the latest update.
- Connect your smartphone or tablet to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast.
- Open the app, and then you’ll see a large Cast icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap on the icon and select the Chromecast device you want to connect to.
- Now select the movie or TV show you want to watch, and you will be able to enjoy it on your television screen.
Remember that the Cast icon is different from the “Watch on” button that you might see under a video selection. This button is to watch content on a Fire TV device. To connect to a Chromecast, the button will be at the bottom right corner of the screen.
Looking for something to watch? These are the best shows on Amazon Prime Video.
From a PC
- Go to the Amazon Prime Video website on your Chrome browser.
- Select a movie or TV show you want to watch and press play.
- Pause it and ensure that you don’t switch to full screen.
- Click on the three vertical dots at the top right corner to open the menu in the Chrome browser.
- Click on “Cast…” and select the Chromecast you want to connect to.
- The laptop screen will now be mirrored on your television.
This method limits Amazon Prime Video resolution to 1080p when you cast them to your Chromecast. Keep that in mind when you have a movie or TV show that supports 4K resolution on Amazon Prime Video.
And that’s how easy it is to watch Amazon Prime Video movies and TV shows on your Chromecast.
See next: Google Chromecast with Google TV review