Foldable phones have been around for a few years now, but they remain unobtainable niche products for many. Yes, their benefits are clear, cramming ample displays in the form factor of a traditional smartphone. But they’re also marred by durability worries and other issues.
With that said, what would make them sell like hotcakes? In a recent poll, we asked our readers what would make them buy a foldable phone, and the results are now in!
What would make you buy a foldable phone?
Just over 3,800 votes were cast on this poll published on October 1. We gave our readers plenty of time to think and pin their flag to the six options available, and one came out as the winner.
Claiming the lion’s share of the vote, 38% of respondents are waiting for a “cheaper price” before buying a foldable phone. This seems the obvious choice, given larger foldable phones are still pushing $2,000 instead of challenging today’s ~$1,000 flagships.
If respondents can’t get lower-priced foldables, they want a more “durable design.” 15% of respondents tapped this option. Interestingly, it only just beat “no display crease” and “glass/glass-like screen,” with 14.6% and 13.2% of the vote respectively. The outlier option, with 9.2% of the vote, is a “slimmer, lighter design.”
The 10% of respondents not content with these five options cast their vote in the comments section. Some recurring desires mentioned include more impressive camera specs, a larger form factor, and a larger battery. Several readers also admit that nothing would convince them to purchase a foldable.
Peruse some of the best comments below.
- Alfie: Fold 3 should at least have the same camera system as S21 Ultra, or a better one.
- Tomas Neruda: Flagship prices should include flagship cameras.
- Paula Morrell: External storage/microSD card slot.
- Chris: Better battery life and feature parity with other phones of the same price range.
- Eric Pearson: Able to become laptop size without being too bulky in phone form. Basically, I need a sci-fi foldable.
- AppleToaster: Price. Literally, the only thing keeping me from upgrading is the absurd price. If they can bring it closer to $1,000 I will buy it. The Fold is my dream phone.
- 0Tuar0: Samsung would have to include a 7-year parts and labor warranty for the flip and fold phones. Yeah, I don’t trust the flexing parts and connections.
- Anthony Jurado: Already bought! Would like a bigger battery, better cameras, S Pen IN the body in Fold 4.
- Dmitry Nesterkin: Physical keyboard like on Samsung W2020.
That’s it for this poll. Thanks for your votes and comments. Have any additional thoughts about the results of this poll? Do you want to tell us what would make you buy a foldable phone? Be sure to drop a comment below.