The move is likely prompted by the ongoing coronavirus crisis that has millions of people across the world locked in their homes.
Free Apple TV Plus originals
The free Apple TV Plus content went live for US viewers on Thursday. Other global customers will reportedly gain access to the free content beginning April 10, via the Apple TV app.
The Apple originals streaming for free include the following titles:
- The Elephant Queen – A feature-length wildlife documentary that follows an elephant matriarch as she leads her herd across the African landscape.
- Little America – An anthology series that tells the stories of immigrants living in America.
- Servant – A horror-mystery series directed by M. Night Shyamalan that follows the story of a couple who lose their baby, only for it to eerily come back to life.
- For All Mankind – A “what-if” take on history where the global space race never ends.
- Dickinson – A modern coming-of-age story about poet Emily Dickinson.
- Helpsters – A children’s show featuring a team of vibrant puppet monsters who solve a range of problems.
- Ghostwriter – Another kids show about what happens when a ghost starts releasing fictional characters from books into the real world.
Free YouTube originals
YouTube has also reportedly made a number of originals free to watch amid the coronavirus pandemic. These titles are usually available with a YouTube Premium subscription which costs $11.99 per month. However, people without a subscription can now watch them completely free of charge.
“With a diverse collection of fan-favorite YouTube originals now available to stream for free, we are continuing to promote safety while offering our users of all ages entertainment across the globe,” Susanne Daniels, YouTube’s Global Head of Original Content told Variety.
YouTube originals now available for free streaming include: Escape The Night, Step Up: High Water, Impulse, Foursome, and Sherwood. More shows like Hyperlinked, We Are Savvy, and King of Atlantis, are also said to become free over the next few weeks.