Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Action Launcher 3.3 update brings Quicktheme live wallpaper integration, new gestures and more
Action Launcher 3, one of our favorite third party launchers here at Android Authority, has just received a big update to version 3.3. Most notably, developer Chris Lacy has added a few improvements to the Quicktheme feature. Quicktheme lets you automatically create a theme for your device based on your current wallpaper. When it was introduced, the feature really only worked with static wallpapers, but now support for live wallpapers has been added. The developer has opened up the API, so LWP app developers will need to add support for the feature manually in order for it to work properly.
Next up on the list of features is fully customizable gesture and shortcut support. You can now customize double and triple tapping, pinching in and out, swiping from the screen edge and more to create whatever shortcuts you so choose.
Also included in the update are a few new animations, new home screen indicators and a number of bug fixes and performance improvements. Take a look at the video below for some more information:
We’ve provided most of the changelog below. Since this is a big update, you can find the full changelog in the version 3.3 update post on Google+.
- NEW: Live wallpaper API support, enabling Quicktheme to reliably work with live wallpaper apps. For an example of this in action, check out the excellent Minima Pro.
- NEW: Shortcuts & gestures (Settings -> Shortcuts) both expanded and fully customizable. Gestures supported include: single/double/triple tap Home button; double/triple tap empty space; swipe up single/two fingers; swipe down single/two fingers; swipe left screen edge/swipe leftmost Home screen/swipe right screen edge/swipe rightmost Home screen; and pinch in/out.
- NEW: Ability to configure action taken by a gesture. Actions include load an app, load a shortcut, toggle All Apps, toggle Quickdrawer, toggle Quickpage, open Action 3 settings, display overview mode, lock/unlock desktop, lock device, open recents, open notifications, open text search and open voice search.
- NEW: When searching, use Google search box overlay instead of switching into the Google app. Can be changed via Settings -> Shortcuts -> Global search mode.
- NEW: As requested, an additional Donate option has been added for people who are so inclined (Settings -> Help -> Donate).
- NEW: Animate to/from the All Apps background color when opening/closing All Apps (requires Android 5.0 or later).
- NEW: Home screen indicators updated to match Android 5.1’s style.
- NEW: Allow importing of Action 3 layouts by other launchers. Thanks Kevin from Nova for the prod here.
The update is now live in the Google Play Store. Follow the link below to check it out!