Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to connect a PlayStation controller to an iPhone or iPad
Apple likes to tout the gaming possibilities of the iPhone and iPad, but let’s face it — it’s hard to play action games like Dead Cells or Grand Theft Auto using a touchscreen. If you’ve got a spare PS4 or PS5 controller, you can be in gaming heaven within a matter of minutes.
With your PlayStation controller off, hold the PS and Share buttons at the same time until the lightbar starts flashing. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Bluetooth and choose your controller from the device list. DualShock 4 owners may need to push the PS button again to establish a working connection.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
- How pair a PS4 or PS5 controller to an iPhone or iPad
- How to disconnect a controller from an iPhone or iPad
How pair a PS4 or PS5 controller to an iPhone
Apple supports two native Sony controllers: the DualSense (for the PS5) and the DualShock 4 (for the PS4). Third-party Bluetooth controllers are an alternative, but only some of them use the PlayStation layout, and pairing instructions may vary.
To pair a DualSense or DualShock 4 with an iPhone:
- Make sure the controller is turned off, and that Bluetooth is enabled on your iPhone.
- Press and hold the controller’s PS and Share buttons at the same time until the lightbar starts flashing. That means you’re in pairing mode.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Bluetooth and choose the controller from the device list.
- The DualSense should link up automatically, but if a DualShock 4 pairs without actually connecting, press the PS button.
How to disconnect a controller from an iPhone
To unpair, go to Settings > Bluetooth on your iPhone and tap the Info (i) button next to the controller’s name. Choose Disconnect for a temporary disconnection, or Forget This Device if you want your iPhone to ignore the controller until you decide to re-pair.