Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to cancel a Roku subscription
If you have a Roku device, there’s a chance you or someone else in your home subscribed to a third-party streaming service only for you to ask later, “Why is Roku charging me?” In reality, whenever you sign up for something using Roku’s platform, your payments are being funneled through the company. Here’s how to cancel a Roku-based subscription, whether because you want to cut down on expenses, or you just want separate billing.
Read more: Roku buyer’s guide
To cancel a Roku-based subscription, use your remote on your Roku's homescreen to highlight the channel you're trying to cancel, then push the asterisk/star button to open options. Select Manage subscription > Cancel subscription. Hit Cancel subscription again, followed by Done.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
How to cancel a Roku subscription on your Roku device
This is probably the simplest method, since you don’t need to get anywhere near a keyboard or login (assuming you’re still signed into your Roku device). Just do the following with your remote:
- Hit the home button if you’re not already at the homescreen.
- Use the arrow buttons to highlight the channel/service you’re trying to cancel.
- Press the asterisk/star button to bring up that channel’s options.
- Choose Manage subscription.
- Select Cancel subscription. You’ll see a message explaining how long you’ll continue to get content.
- Pick Cancel subscription again, then Done.
It’s worth noting that the methods above and below apply only if you subscribed to something through Roku. If you signed up another way, you’ll need to go the same route to unsubscribe.
How to cancel a Roku subscription on the web
If your computer, tablet, or smartphone happens to be more convenient than your TV, canceling a Roku subscription is still pretty easy:
- Open my.roku.com/account in a web browser.
- Sign into your Roku account.
- From the page that appears, select Manage your subscriptions.
- Find the channel/service you want to cancel under Active Subscriptions, then select Cancel subscription.
- You’ll be asked for a reason you’re canceling. Pick whichever one you like.
Read more: How to get Spectrum TV on your Roku
Frequently asked questions
No. Presumably this is to prevent accidental cancellations.
Sign into your account at my.roku.com/account, then click Update under Payment method. Select Remove payment method. Without a card, recurring subscriptions won’t process. You’ll have to re-add a card later to make any future Roku purchases.
Chances are this is because you signed up elsewhere, not through Roku’s interface. You’ll have to figure out how you signed up — whether through an outside app or website — and cancel the same way.
The easiest way to prevent yourself (or your kids) from making purchases on Roku is to set a Roku PIN. This adds a passcode to the purchasing process.
Read more: The best video streaming services