We talked about Microsoft’s Xbox SmartGlass app quite a few times since being made official way back in June. While the app is already pre-loaded on Microsoft Surface tablets, and will be available on various other Windows 8/RT machines, the company will not restrict SmartGlass access to its Windows ecosystem.
Microsoft will support other platforms as well, Android included, and today we have some good news for all Android device owners that also happen to own Xbox 360 console. The Xbox SmartGlass app for Android phones is now available as a free download – a lot earlier that previously rumored – and you can get it right ahead.
Unfortunately, the app is only available for Android smartphones that run Ice Cream Sandwich or higher.
Once installed on the device, the app will let users interact with their Xbox 360 console straight from the handset, with Microsoft expected to add more and more features to this app. Meanwhile, here’s what Xbox SmartGlass will help you do:
- Navigate your Xbox 360 with swipe and tap
- Use your phone’s keyboard to type to your Xbox 360
- Browse the Internet on your Xbox 360 with full keyboard and zooming
- Play, pause, fast forward, rewind, and stop videos and music on your Xbox 360
- Search the full Xbox catalog of music, video, and games
- Enjoy rich, interactive experiences from select game and entertainment content creators
- Track and compare your achievements with your Xbox friends
- Change up your 3D avatar
- Message your Xbox friends
- Edit your Xbox profile
Have you installed it already?