Search results for

All search results
Best daily deals

Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.

US Note 7 return rate at 93%, as US carriers reveal plans for upcoming kill-off

More details about the US carriers's plans to shut down the Note 7 once and for good emerge, as the return rate hits 93%.

Published onDecember 12, 2016

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 (Notetaking)-2

Samsung is trying its best to convince Galaxy Note 7 users around the globe to return their devices for safety reasons. On average, around 90 percent of them have already done so, while the rest have decided to take the risk and keep using the device.

To make sure we don’t see or hear about another Galaxy Note 7 fire incident, Samsung has already effectively killed off its phablet in a few countries – New Zealand, Australia, Canada. On Friday, Samsung announced it would follow the same path in the United States. The update will prevent Note 7 units from charging and will eliminate their ability to work as mobile devices.

Verizon won't be rolling out Samsung Galaxy Note 7 shutdown update
verizon samsung logo

The update will first be released on December 27 by T-Mobile. AT&T will follow soon after and will release it on January 5. Sprint will do the same three days later — January 8. Verizon, the biggest US carrier, has surprisingly decided not to join in and therefore won’t push the update to the Note 7 devices on its network.

In the US, more than 93 percent of users, which is above the global average, have already returned their Galaxy Note 7s. If you’re one of the remaining 7 percent, we advise you to do the same for safety reasons. You’ll be able to get a refund or exchange your Note 7 for a different Samsung device, including the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge.

So, what do you think about the update that will soon hit most of the remaining Galaxy Note 7 devices in the US? Is it the right thing to do? Let us know.

You might like