Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Want to unlock your EE phone? Here’s how!
Network carriers are often the first stop if you’re looking to get the latest flagship phone since they’re priced at manageable monthly rates compared to the painful lump sum price. Of course, this route usually involves being locked into a 24-month contract. If you’ve passed the two-year mark or are looking to switch networks but want to keep the phone, you’ll have to get it unlocked. Luckily, UK networks like EE have made it quite easy to do this. Here’s how to unlock your EE phone!
Can you unlock any EE phone?
The simple answer is yes. However, EE has conditions depending on your device and the plan you have signed up for. In fact, some devices will unlock automatically after some time.
- Any iPhone from EE will unlock automatically after 18 months. You can check whether the iPhone is unlocked by texting UNLOCK to 150.
- All other devices will need an unlock code from EE.
Keep in mind that you cannot unlock devices connected to corporate accounts. You will have to contact the account manager to raise an unlock request.
How much does it cost to unlock an EE phone?
The cost of unlocking your EE phone depends on a couple of factors — the type of plan you have subscribed to and whether you are still in or out of the contract. If you are in contract, you have to wait six months before paying to unlock your phone.
- Pay monthly phone: £8.99 in contract or free if out of contract.
- Pay as you go or Flex: If you bought the phone directly from EE, you could get it unlocked for free. If not, it is £8.99.
- Second-hand phones: If you’ve bought a phone that is locked to EE from stores like eBay and Gumtree, or if someone gives you one, it will cost you £8.99 to unlock it.
- EE small business phone: £8.99 in contract or free if out of contract.
How long does it take to unlock the phone?
- If you have an Apple device and are on a pay monthly plan, you can unlock the phone instantly.
- Most other devices will take up to a maximum of 72 hours to unlock.
- In some cases, EE may have to get an unlock code from the device manufacturer. If that happens, it may take up to 10 days to get the phone unlocked. EE will notify you if it takes longer than 72 hours.
How to unlock your EE phone
Pay monthly plans
- If you are still in contract, you will have to meet certain conditions to unlock your pay monthly phone.
- Be the EE account holder for the device.
- You will need to have had the phone for at least six months.
- Make sure that your bill payments are up to date.
- The device isn’t reported as lost or stolen.
- To unlock a pay monthly iPhone:
- Log in to My EE.
- Go to Menu > Manage Devices.
- Choose the Device tools tab.
- Select Unlock your phone and follow the on-screen instructions.
- For all other phones:
- Go to EE’s device unlock guide and follow the instructions. It will ask you for details about your plan, whether you meet all the requirements to be allowed to unlock your phone, and your personal account information to complete the process.
Pay as you go or Flex plans
- You can get a Pay as you go or Flex device unlocked as soon as you buy it from EE.
- First, ensure that the device is registered. To do so, call 150 from the phone.
- Once registered, go to EE’s device unlock guide and follow the instructions.
- If you’ve bought a second-hand phone locked to EE, call 150 from the device and speak to customer care.
- If you are calling from a landline or non-EE phone, dial 0800 956 6000. Select option 2 and then option 4. They will run a security check before providing unlocking instructions.