Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
TV shows, movies, and magazines now available on Google Play
Google I/O has been quite hectic so far, with amazing new devices such as the Nexus 7, Google’s low cost but high-end tablet, and the Nexus Q, Google’s social streaming media player. We also got a first glimpse of the next iteration of the Android OS, Android 4.1 Jellybean which will be featured on the Nexus 7 and will soon be available as an update on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Somewhat lost in the melee is the revamped Google Play Store which now has movies, TV shows, and magazines as well. Let’s take a look at some of the highlights.
Google Play Movies and TV shows
Movies on the Play Store were already available for rent earlier, but now you have the option to purchase titles as well. You can now also enjoy your favorite TV shows, with the option to buy individual episodes or even full seasons. Features of Google Play Movies and TV shows include:
- Extensive collection thanks to Google’s partnership agreements with various producers including ABC Studios, NBC Universal, Sony Pictures, Disney, Bravo, Paramount, Virgil Films, and Sundance.
- Availability of the latest episodes as well as full seasons of some must-watch TV shows such as Revenge, Breaking Bad, Suits, and the Walking Dead, to name a few.
- Watched purchased or rented movies and TV shows instantly online. You can also download them and watch it offline later from the Play Movies and TV app.
- Movies and TV shows are automatically added to your “My Movies and TV Library” giving you access from any Android phone, tablet, or PC.
You can watch the videos introducing Google Play Movies and TV shows here:
You can download the Google Play Movies app from the Play Store here.
Google Play Magazines
Along with Play Books, Google has now also introduced Google Play Magazines. You now have access to your favorite magazines and the ability to choose from numerous titles thanks to Google’s deals with publishers such as Conde Nast and Hearst. Features of Play Magazines include:
- Browse titles on the web or from your Android device and start reading instantly.
- Wide selection of titles includes new as well as back issues.
- You have the option to buy individual issues or save money by availing monthly or annual subscription packages.
- You can check out various magazines using a 14-day or 30-day trial period before deciding whether you want to subscribe or not.
- Seamless syncing and easy access across all your Android devices.
- Magazines are stored in the cloud, but you have the option for offline access as well, using the Google Play Magazine app.
You can watch a video introducing Google Play Magazines here:
You can download the Google Play Magazines app from the Play Store here.
Unfortunately, the new features of the Google Play Store are only available to US consumers for now, but that should change shortly.
What are your thoughts? Will you be purchasing TV shows, movies, and magazines from Google Play? What do you think of the new additions? Let us know in the comments section below.