Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Must read Android: top 12 stories this week
This week in your world of Android, KitKat rolled out to Nexus devices, while Samsung had problems with Jelly Bean, the incredibly cheap Moto G landed, Google Search got smarter, we heard news from the CyanogenMod team, and the Apple vs Samsung retrial kicked off.
These are the essential stories, the summary of an entire week in just a few phrases. It’s must read Android.
KitKat rolling out
It took a little, but Google kicked off Nexus updates this week, with the Wi-Fi versions of the Nexus 7 (both generations) and the Nexus 10 leading the way. If you’re still waiting for the OTA, check out our manual installation guide.
- Android 4.4 KitKat plans for AOKP, CyanogenMod, OmniROM and Paranoid Android detailed
- Nexus 7 (2012, 2013) and Nexus 10 Android 4.4 KitKat updates roll out starting today, Nexus 4 and cellular Nexus 7 “soon”
- How to manually install Android 4.4 KitKat – Nexus 7 (2012/2013) WiFi, Nexus 10
- Download: Android 4.4 KitKat factory images for Nexus 4, all Nexus 7 models (2012, 2013) and Nexus 10
Moto G: best bang for the buck
It’s finally here, ladies and gentlemen – a quality device for a truly affordable price. The Moto G launched this week, and we have to say it, we’ve never been so excited over a budget phone. Check out the specs and how the G compares to competitors.
- Motorola Moto G official: specs, features, price and availability
- Just how good a deal is the Moto G?
Google Search will talk back to you, but in a good way
Google Search got updated this week, receiving a nice bump to its voice actions capabilities. Tell your phone to send a message, and it will now ask to whom you want to send it. Neat!
- Download: Android 4.4 KitKat Google Search 3.1.8 app update rolling out, helps with Google Experience Launcher unofficial installation
- Google voice actions got smarter, can now ask for clarification, just like Siri
CyanogenMod installer is live, how about a new phone?
Installing CyanogenMod can be difficult, but the new CyanogenMod Installer app, now in the Play Store, promises to make it less of a pain. Also, we’ve heard rumors of a CyanogenMod phone coming soon, that will be priced very competitively. Color us interested!
- CyanogenMod Installer arrives to Google Play, makes custom ROM installation easy
- Rumor: Cyanogen working on its own CM phone, priced at Nexus level
Apple vs Samsung: here we go again
Apple and Samsung meet again to tussle over who copied whom, with hundreds of millions of dollars on the table. The partial retrial of last year’s $1 billion suit kicked off this week. Don’t you just love legal drama?
Android 4.3 update hits a snag
What should have been a reason of celebration for Galaxy S3 users turned into disappointment, after news broke that the Android 4.3 update for the Galaxy S3 bogs down the phone and reduces battery live.
What’s the biggest story in Android this week? Tell us in the comments.