Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Top 9 Android stories this week: Android 4.4.3 rolling, Apple news, and Tango tablet
This week in your world of Android: Android 4.4.3 landed, Sony launched the T3 and HTC launched the E8, the Galaxy F supposedly leaked, Apple got everyone talking, Samsung finally released a Tizen phone, Google updated several apps, Asus unleashed a ton of devices, and the Project Tango tablet made us all drool.
These are the essential stories, the summary of an entire week in just a few words. It’s Android Weekly.
Android 4.4.3 cometh
Finally, after more than a few rumors and false starts, Android 4.4.3 has finally begun rolling out to Nexus, Play edition, and Motorola devices. The update brings a lot of bug fixes, though some old issues remain unsolved, as well as small changes to the Dialer and People apps.
- Nexus 7 (2013) WiFi now getting Android 4.4.3 OTA – get it here
- Android 4.4.3 OTA file for Nexus 5 now available for download
- Android 4.4.3 Factory Images and Binaries show up, updates to come soon
- Android 4.4.3 brings a ton of bug fixes, ignores a few old problems and introduces a few new ones
- Android 4.4.3 now rolling out to Google Play Edition and Motorola devices
- Android 4.4.3 OTA file for Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 now available for download
Xperia T3 is made of real steel
Sony revealed this week a new mid-range device that marries decent specs with a premium design. Framed in a band of stainless steel, the Xperia T3 brings Sony’s style down range in a thin, sleek profile.
This may or may not be the Galaxy F
If rumors were right, Samsung should be coming up with a premium Galaxy S5 sometimes this month. According to an alleged press render published by @evleaks, the device could feature a brushed metal finish similar to the LG G3’s.
iOS catching up with Android?
Apple’s developers conference took place this week, and it was a memorable one, for Apple fans and not only. After taking a few jabs at Android, Apple’s execs proceeded to announce several new iOS features that Android users have been enjoying for years. In all seriousness though, Apple really improved its game this year.
- iOS 8 is here: what’s new and what’s borrowed from Android?
- iOS 8 is great news for Android
- The real secrets behind Apple’s success
At last, a Tizen phone
It’s been in development for ages, but now Samsung’s very first Tizen smartphone is here. Is it the threat to Android that some predicted it would be? No, at least not for now.
Google updates galore
It wasn’t just Android 4.4.3 that Google has been rolling out. Apps like Hangouts, Google Search, and YouTube all received substantial updates this week.
- Android 4.4.3 brings some Gmail flair to Dialer and People apps
- Google Hangouts update rolling out, brings custom message sounds and SMS block list
- Google Now adds World Cup information
- Google’s Remote Desktop app gains immersive mode
- YouTube 5.7 now lets you select streaming quality from 144p to 720p
Attack of the hybrids
At Computex this week Asus unveiled a stable of hybrid devices, ranging from a conventional 8-inch tablet that makes phone calls, to a crazy 5:1 Window laptop that comes with a detachable Android phone.
- Asus’ new 5-in-1 Windows-Android hybrid is the craziest yet
- Asus launches a ton of Android hybrids at Computex
I’ll have the M8, but in plastic
Ever wished the One (M8) was made of plastic instead of metal? Or that it had a 13MP camera instead of that Duo Camera? If so, the One (E8) should be your dream device. The E8 is basically a plastic M8, and presumably it will be priced very attractively. Interested?
- Meet the HTC One (E8): the plastic M8 with a 13MP camera is here (updated with pricing)
- HTC’s newly announced One E8 poses for the camera in a series of detailed images
Google unveils killer Project Tango tablet
It has an Nvidia K1 processor. 4GB of RAM. 128GB of storage. It senses your world, almost like a Kinect. And it costs $1024. This is the Project Tango tablet, and it’s the stuff of nerd dreams.
What was the biggest Android news this week? Tell us in the comments.