Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Weekly: Samsung rumors, the Galaxy Tab S, and OnePlus One controversy
This week in your world of Android: Paranoid Android and CyanogenMod released big updates, a string of Samsung rumors surfaced, the G Watch leaked extensively, the OnePlus One finally shipped (not without controversy), news emerged about Google’s plan to unify design across platforms, and Samsung introduced the AMOLED Galaxy Tab S tablets.
These are the essential stories, the summary of an entire week in just a few words. It’s Android Weekly.
Custom ROMs fans rejoice
Two of the most popular custom ROM projects had big releases this week. CyanogenMod 11 M7 brought the much anticipated Theme Engine to the stable Milestone 7 release, while Paranoid Android’s RC1 brought to the public a series of cool features, including Hover.
- CM11 M7 out now for 50 devices, brings revamped Theme Chooser and more
- Paranoid Android 4.4 hits stable RC1 version – download away!
Samsung rumor bonanza
The Galaxy F is again in the news (or more accurately rumors), after the device leaked in several pictures this week. We also got to see the Galaxy S5 Mini in high definition spy shots, and even the Galaxy Note 4 joined in the fun, even if it’s still months away.
- Galaxy Note 4 will offer Exynos chipset with LTE in Europe, Qualcomm in North America
- Another alleged Galaxy F picture surfaces, this time alongside Galaxy S5
- More alleged pics of the Galaxy F pop up
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini captured in beautiful HD images
G Watch: all you need to know
Three distinct sources revealed details about the highly anticipated LG G Watch this week, including specifications, price, and release date. We even learned that the device will be given away at Google I/O in just two weeks.
- LG G Watch rumored release date and pricing emerge
- LG G Watch specs leak: 1.6-inch display, 400mAh battery and more
- Exclusive: LG G Watch will be given away at Google I/O 2014
OnePlus One, finally
Fans were up in arms over a last minute delay of the OnePlus One, which was supposed to ship to customers with invites from June 6. After a bit of controversy, the device finally began making its way to eager buyers this Thursday.
- OnePlus One invite emails suggest the handset’s arrival will be delayed
- OnePlus says software problems are solved, phones to begin shipping today
A quantum leap in design
Google is reportedly going to unveil a new design philosophy in the close future, one that puts emphasis on coherence across platforms. Dubbed Quantum Paper, the new approach could bring us similar experiences on the web, Android apps, and even iOS.
Galaxy Tab S series is here
As expected, Samsung launched its first new AMOLED tablets in three years this week, under the Tab S moniker. Bringing beautiful displays and thin profiles, the Tab S is Samsung’s new top of the line range.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S officially announced: here’s what you need to know
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 hands-on and first look
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 hands-on and first look
What was the biggest Android story this week? Tell us in the comments.