Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Top 7 Android Stories of the week - Apple vs Samsung, Google redesign, and Fire TV
This week in your world of Android: Samsung introduced the Galaxy Tab4 series, Google was rumored to overhaul its design guidelines, the Galaxy S5 mini leaked, Amazon launched the Fire TV, the new Apple vs Samsung trial started, and we got a glimpse of a new HTC flagship.
These are the essential stories, the summary of an entire week in just a few words. It’s Android Weekly.
Meet the Galaxy Tab4
The rumored Galaxy Tab4 series debuted this week, in 7-inch, 8-inch, and 10-inch variants. Destined for the budget segment, the three new tablets will become available around the world in the following weeks.
Google app redesign?
Multiple sources this week indicated Google is working on overhauling the appearance of its apps, including Gmail. Leaked screenshots of the messaging app give us an idea of what to expect: flat design, more colors.
- Google reportedly planning major overhaul of its Android and web apps
- New features potentially coming to Gmail: pin and snooze emails, more categories
Galaxy S5 mini specs look good
The Galaxy S4 mini was a disappointment, but the S5 mini could erase that bad memory. Specs of the device leaked this week, making us hopeful for an affordable, attractive “mini” smartphone from Samsung.
Google updates galore
Google made a bunch of changes to the Play Store web app this week, and rolled out cosmetic changes to several of its apps.
- Google Keep gets a new update, UI tweaks and more
- Google Play Movies gets updated, adds a few minor UI enhancements and more
- My Play activity – see your Play Store ratings and +1′s on the web
- Google Play gets a ‘People’ section, lets you know what content others are using
- Play Newsstand 3.2 brings new categories bar and design refresh
Amazon kindles a new Fire
The Fire TV marries a set-top-box with an Android gaming console, and it costs just $99 (Buy Now from Amazon). Is the Fire TV a better deal than the Chromecast? We looked at the issue this week.
- Amazon Fire TV streaming device announced, just $99 with gaming support and more
- Amazon Fire TV vs. Chromecast: what’s the better deal?
Here we go again
A new trial between Apple and Samsung started this week, but the first few days were a bit embarrassing for the Cupertino company.
New HTC flagship on the horizon
A new flagship HTC device was spotted online, and we have reasons to believe it’s the successor to the 2013 Butterfly s. M8-like specs plus a 13MP camera – how does it sound?
What are the top Android stories this week? Tell us in the comments!