During the run up to IFA 2014, the rumor mill has been running overtime about Sony’s next generation of Xperia Z3 smartphones and tablets. Today, Sony officially unveiled its new 8 inch tablet, the Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact.
Although the device has a smaller footprint than the previous Z2 Tablet, the Z3 Tablet Compact doesn’t cut corners on features. At the heart of the device is a Snapdragon 801 processor, along with 3GB RAM. More than enough to power the crisp 1080p resolution display.
The new tablet uses the same design language as the Z2 and it is in many ways a Z2 Tablet with a smaller display. As with other Xperia Z tablets, the Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact has Sony Front Surround audio technology which includes digital-noise cancelling. Sony says that their noise technology can help reduce up to 98% of ambient noise when used with their Noise Cancelling Headset.
We still don’t know all the full details about the device, but here are the specs we do know:
- 8-inch Full HD (1920 x 1080) TRILUMINOS display, with X-Reality and Live Color LED technology
- 2.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801 CPU, Adreno 330 GPU
- 3GB of RAM
- 16GB storage with microSD
- 8.1MP Exmor RS rear camera, 2.2MP front camera
- Sony Front Surround™ audio technology
- Optional 4G LTE support
- IP65/IP68 rating – waterproof and dustproof
- 270gram weight
- Digital noise-cancelling technology for an immersive audio experience
- 4500 mAh battery — provides estimated 10 hours multimedia usage
- Quick charge technology
Like its predecessors, the Z3 Tablet Compact is water and dust resistant, a feature that Sony practically pioneered with the Xperia Z range — and this time it’s even higher rated than any Xperia tablet before it. The Z3 Tablet Compact will be available in several models including Wi-Fi only variants and those with added 4G-LTE connectivity.
Pricing and availability has yet to be announced but we’ll be sure to update as soon as we have more details!