Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
RetroArch is an awesome (and free) multi-system emulator Android app
The gaming scene on the Android platform has gotten better with age, but do you ever get that longing feeling of wanting to go back in time to play those PSX or GBA games from the good ol’ days? Hunting down and using a dozen or so emulator apps are doable, but not very convenient and cheap. This is where RetroArch comes in and sweeps you off your feet.
The RetroArch is a new emulator app that allows you to play thousands of classic games from a surprisingly large number of gaming platforms – and then some more. Here’s the complete list:
- PlayStation 1 (emulator: PCSX ReARMed)
- Super Nintendo (emulator: SNES9x Next)
- Nintendo Entertainment System (emulator: FCEUmm / NEStopia)
- GameBoy / GameBoy Color (emulator: Gambatte)
- GameBoy Advance (emulator: VBA Next)
- Arcade (emulator: Final Burn Alpha)
- Neo Geo Pocket Color (emulator: Mednafen NGP)
- Virtual Boy (emulator: Mednafen VB)
- Sega Genesis/Mega Drive (emulator: Genesis Plus GX)
- Sega Master System/Sega Game Gear (emulator: Genesis Plus GX)
- Sega CD / Mega CD (emulator: Genesis Plus GX)
- PC Engine / PC Engine CD (emulator: Mednafen PCE Fast)
- WonderSwan Color / Crystal (emulator: Mednafen Wonderswan)
- Cave Story (game engine: NX Engine)
- Doom 1 / Doom 2 / Ultimate Doom / Final Doom (game engine: prBoom)
The app also supports PnP detection of various USB and Bluetooth gamepads, real-time rewinding of games, advanced pixel/vertex shader, customizable touchscreen overlays, and more. One of the best things about RetroArch is that it’s completely free with no nagging ads whatsoever!
If you’re intrigued, grab the app now from Google Play. Let us know what you think of RetroArch below.