Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Pantech Element and Burst get Ice Cream Sandwich update
An update released yesterday via the Pantech website brings Ice Cream Sandwich to two devices: the Pantech Element and the Pantech Burst. It may not be Jelly Bean, but it’s the next best thing.
We mentioned last month that the Pantech Burst would be getting an update to Ice Cream Sandwich on September 27, but in what seems to be par for the course lately, the update was pushed back due to “unexpected delays.” Finally, the updates for both the Burst and its big brother, the Element, have arrived.
The Pantech Element, an 8-inch tablet, is being upgraded from Android 3.0 Honeycomb, while the Pantech Burst, an LTE smartphone, is being upgraded from Android 2.3 Gingerbread. It’s possible that you may be using both of these devices, since AT&T sold them as a bundle.
The changelogs for both of the devices are nearly interchangeable, aside from a few device-specific features such as Face Unlock on the Burst. The updates coming to both devices are fairly standard Ice Cream Sandwich features like the Holo UI, improved lock screen, better performance. The cameras for both devices are seeing new features like Self, Panorama and Time-Lapse modes.
Here is a full list of the new features and improvements that both devices are seeing:
New User Features
- Enhanced Home screen canvas switcher edit functionality(In the preview of home screen panels, users can change a main home screen panel).
- Enhanced Multitasking and Notifications functionality.
- Enhanced User Interface : Virtual buttons in System bar, contextual options in Action Bar.
- Improved text input and spell-checking (Android keyboard)
- Control over Network data and Powerful web browsing
- New! Self mode and Panorama capture mode in camera.
- New! Time-Lapse recording function in video camera.
- Improved user interface design with GL library.
- Support for Native Sync of AT&T Address Book.
- Improved lock screen.
- Improved Quick Settings and Detail Settings.
- Additional Improvement UI interfaces.
The update is not being pushed out over the air, so you will have to visit the specific page on Pantech’s website for either the Element or the Burst. Along with the download, you will find instructions on how to upgrade your device. There is a warning that user data will be erased, so make sure to use a back up your data before you update, unless you want to start over with a fully clean slate.
Do you have either of these devices? Maybe even both? How are you enjoying the Ice Cream Sandwich experience?