Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat rolling out to the Moto G in the UK and Germany
Last month Motorola brought Android 4.4 KitKat over to Moto G owners in North America after quickly pushing out the same KitKat goodness to the Moto X. Now it looks like Moto G owners in the UK and Germany can now get in on the update as well!
The KitKat update for UK and German Moto G owners is essentially the same as what was already rolled out to the US. That means the primary focus of the update is bringing KitKat, though there are a few minor Moto G-specific changes as well.
Here’s the full change-log highlighting what to expect from the update:
- Android 4.4, KitKat: Android 4.4.2, KitKat, is the latest release of the Android platform. KitKat includes enhancements such as restyled status and navigation bars, a new full-screen mode, color emoji support, improved closed captioning support, stronger security, smarter power use, and more tools and capabilities for better app development.
- Phone dialer: Improved the phone app with the ability to look up contacts directly from the dial pad, see and tap frequent contacts, and search your corporate directory easily.
- Gallery – Photo editing: Added new photo editing options to the Gallery app including new filter effects, draw on your photos, advanced cropping, and adjustments to color, exposure, contrast and more.
- Printing documents and pictures: Added support for printing photos, Google Docs, GMail messages, and other content via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and hosted services like Google Cloud Print and HP ePrinters.
- Hangouts – SMS/MMS support: Incorporated a new version of Google Hangouts that supports integrated SMS/MMS messaging. Hangouts can be set as the default SMS app under Settings > Wireless > Default SMS app.
- Accessory support: Added support for Square credit card reader.
Keep in mind that the update will likely take a few days or more to roll out to all users in the UK and Germany, and will hopefully make its way to the rest of Europe soon enough. When in doubt, you can always manually check for an update in system settings.
For those that own the Moto G, have you received the update yet? If so, did all go as expected when installing (and after)?