There’s been nothing like the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the history of the film industry. It began in 2008 with the release of the first Iron Man film. Now there are 23 movies set in that universe, in three phases, in what’s become known as The Infinity Saga. You can watch the MCU movies in order of their release. However, if you want to stick with the movie’s continuity, you should watch these Marvel movies in order of events.
That’s what this article is all about. You can watch the movies in The Infinity Saga in the order they were released to theaters if you desire. However, it’s more fun to watch the Marvel movies in order of the fictional timeline of the MCU. Thankfully, 20 of the 23 movies on this list are on Disney Plus. The other three (The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Spider-Man: Far from Home) are not, and likely will never be, on Disney Plus. That’s due mainly to licensing issues with their respective studios.
With all that said, here’s our recommended list of what order to watch these Marvel movies. Again most of them are on Disney Plus, which you can sign up for right now at the link below. If you want to watch the rest of the MCU movies in order, you will need to make other arrangements.
- Captain America: The First Avenger (set mostly in the 1940’s during World War II, with some segments set just before The Avengers)
- Captain Marvel (set in the 1990s)
- Iron Man (set in 2008)
- Iron Man 2 (set in 2009, six months after Iron Man)
- The Incredible Hulk (set around the same time as the first two Iron Man movies; this film is owned by Universal but you can rent or purchase it via Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, or Microsoft Movies and TV)
- Thor (set at the same time, and just after, Iron Man 2)
- The Avengers (Set in 2012)
- Thor: The Dark World (Set in 2013, a few months after Avengers)
- Iron Man 3 (Set in 2013)
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Set in 2014)
- Guardians of the Galaxy (Set in 2014)
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 (set in 2014, a few months after Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (Set in 2015)
- Ant-Man (set in 2015, a few months after Avengers: Age of Ultron)
- Captain America: Civil War (set in 2016)
- Black Panther (set just after the events of Captain America: Civil War)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (set mostly in 2016, a few months after Captain America: Civil War; this film is owned by Sony, but you can rent or purchase it via Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, or Microsoft Movies and TV)
- Doctor Strange (set mostly in 2016, with a brief epilogue in 2017)
- Thor: Ragnarok (set mostly in 2017, with a brief epilogue in 2018)
- Avengers: Infinity War (set in 2018, just after the events of the Thor: Ragnarok epilogue)
- Ant-Man and the Wasp (set in 2018, mostly just before the events of Avengers: Infinity War, but an epilogue is set around the same time as the end of the events of that movie)
- Avengers: Endgame (Starts out a few months after Avengers: Infinity War, then time jumps five years to 2023)
- Spider-Man: Far From Home (Set in 2023, a few months after Avengers: Endgame; this film is owned by Sony, but you can sign up for the Starz streaming service to watch it).
That’s our recommended list of how to watch the Marvel movies in chronological order. Will you be binge-watching this nearly 50-hour Infinity Saga?