Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to Install Ice Cream Sandwich on HTC Desire HD Using LC ICS 4.0.3 ROM
The HTC Desire HD has been out for quite a while now. It has been considered one of the best among its class, and we’ve already heard a lot of praises about this Android smartphone over the Internet.
Some of you may be happy and contented with whatever HTC has decided to load the Desire HD with. Others are not as content. For the latter type of people, we bring glad tidings. If you want to see more action on your Desire HD, having Ice Cream Sandwich running inside the device might probably do the trick. This article will teach you how–specifically, how to update your Desire HD to Android 4.0.3 via the LC ICS 4.0.3 ROM. So, check out the rest of the guide for the instructions.
There’s no official Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) for the HTC Desire HD just yet. The one that we are going to use here is based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) and CyanogenMod 9 (CM9). This custom ROM has been developed by the guys from XDA Developers who are always at the forefront of innovation for the Android community. They call this custom ROM the LC ICS 4.0.3 – 1.0.beta4, which will indicate that it is still in the beta stage of development. You need not worry, though, because this custom ROM already received a lot of good reviews from people who have tried it.
This process will require you to root your device which will void its warranty. And, we would like to explicitly mention that this custom ROM will only work with the HTC Desire HD. Please don’t attempt to use this ROM or these instructions on a different device.
- You need to have a Windows PC with Internet connection
- The HTC Desire HD needs to be rooted.
- ClockworkMod Recovery must be installed on the device.
- You need to backup all your data.
- You need a USB cable to connect your device to the PC.
- The device has to be fully charged.
- Download the LC ICS 4.0.3 – 1.0.beta4 ROM from here and save the file to your computer.
- Connect the device to your PC via the USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP file into the root directory of the device’s external SD card.
- Turn off the device.
- Turn on the device again and access ClockworkMod Recovery menu by holding down both the Volume Down key and the Power button. This will take you to the bootloader screen. When you are already in the bootloader menu, you can use the volume rocker to navigate and the Power button to select an item.
- Select “bootloader”, and then select “recovery”.
- Choose “Backup and Restore” so that you can backup the existing ROM.
- Wipe out all phone data. To do that, select “Wipe data / factory reset”.
- Then, select “Wipe Cache Partition”.
- From the main menu, access “Advanced” and then run “Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
- Return to the main menu and select “Install zip from sdcard” and then choose “Choose zip from sdcard”.
- Look for update-LC-ICS-1.0.beta4-DesireHD-signed.zip and then select it to start the install process.
- Once everything is done, choose “Go back”.
- From the main menu choose “Reboot system now”. The next time the device boots, ICS will already be running.
You should now be able to enjoy the much-coveted Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC Desire HD Sim Free, thanks to the LC ICS 4.0.3 ROM. Congratulations!