Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to Upgrade HTC Evo Shift 4G to Android 4.0.3 ICS Firmware
With Ice Cream Sandwich raining from the sky, even the HTC Evo Shift 4G gets its own dose. The wait is over, now that an all-new ROM called Speedy ICS 4.0.3 AOSP – Evervolv Kang Build v1.1 has arrived, satisfying the need for Ice Cream Sandwich by coming up with an AOSP build based on Android 4.0.3 firmware. All thanks go to XDA-Developers forum member jhuymaier for releasing this all-new ICS creation.
It’s important to note that this is not the official firmware released by HTC but is a beta version developed by dedicated third-party developers. There’s still no date for when HTC will be rolling out Ice Cream Sandwich for the HTC Evo Shift 4G.
Here’s a list of the functions that are currently working in this release:
- Voice/Data 3G
- Hardware keyboard backlight
- Hardware Function keys
- Wi-Fi Tether
- Data Usage App
- Google Navigation (partially with mobile cellular location but not real GPS)
- Android Market
Because this is a beta version, there are also a few things that currently aren’t working:
- GPS – previously worked but caused a forced system reboot
If this list of non-functioning features doesn’t bother you and you can’t wait to try this beta release of Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC Evo Shift 4G, then there are a few things we’ll need to go through before we begin the update process:
- Make sure that your HTC Evo Shift 4G is rooted.
- Back up all of the data on your phone so you can restore these if the data are lost or corrupted during the updating process.
- Make sure that you’ve enabled USB Debugging on your device. You can do this through the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging”.
- Make sure that your device has at least 70% charge, so that it does not shut down in the middle of the update process.
Once you’ve accomplished all the pre-requisites, you may now proceed to updating the HTC Evo Shift 4G with Android 4.0.3.
- Download Speedy ICS 4.0.3 AOSP – Evervolv Kang Build v1.1 from here and save the file to your computer. Do not extract the archive.
- Download the Google Apps package (gApps) from here and save it to your computer without extracting the archive.
- Connect your phone to your computer with the USB Cable.
- Copy both of these files into the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Turn off the phone.
- Reboot into Recovery Mode by holding down the Volume Down key while pressing the Power button.
- You’ll enter into Bootloader Mode.
- Select Recovery.
- Create a backup of your phone data while you’re in recovery mode.
- Once in Recovery Mode, select “Clear Storage”. It will delete all the cache data from your phone.
- Next, select “Install ZIP from SD Card”. Select the Speedy ICS 4.0.3 ROM file. The flashing process will take a few minutes, so you’ll have to wait a bit.
- Once the file has finished flashing, select “Install ZIP from SD Card” again.
- This time, select the Google Apps (gApps) file.
- Once the update has been successfully applied, you’ll return to Recovery Mode.
- Select “++++Go Back++++” to return to the main menu.
- Choose “Reboot System Now.”
- Check whether your phone has properly been updated. Go to “Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version”. You should be seeing Firmware version 4.0.3.
Congratulations! Your HTC Evo Shift 4G is now running on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich!