Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to Install MIUI 4 ICS Android 4.0.3 on the HTC Desire HD
If you want your HTC Desire HD to sport a new look while upgrading to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich, then you’re in luck—we have a step-by-step guide on how to install the MIUI 4 ROM on your mobile device.
MIUI 4 is a combination of MIUI’s interface sweetened by the features of Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich. The custom ROM is currently in its beta form, with a few minor bugs that need fixing. If you’re using your device for video recording and USB Tethering, you might want to postpone until the next update, since these said features don’t work yet in the custom ROM.
The following, however, are working in MIUI 4:
- Phone radios
- SD card
- Camera (but needs improvement)
- 3G/2G data connectivity
- 3D Accelerator
- All sensors
- Android Market
- Google Apps
- MIUI Back-up
Requirements and Reminders
Here are some things you need to have or take note of before proceeding with this installation guide:
- HTC Desire HD, rooted and with S-OFF.
- 4EXT Recovery app installed on your phone. This app is a touch-based custom recovery that contains a lot of advanced features. You can download the 3-day free trial version of 4EXT Recovery Control from the Android Market.
- Make sure you have at least 60% battery power or more to keep the device running during installation of the ROM.
- Backup all your phone data or transfer all files in your SD card.
- This custom ROM is only compatible with the HTC Desire HD.style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Do notflash the ROM to other devices.
- We will not be held responsible for any damage caused by your use of this step-by-step guide. Play with your device at your own risk.
If you are ready, let’s now proceed in installing MIUI 4 with Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC Desire HD.
- Download the MIUI 4 Beta ROM archive for the HTC Desire HD. Get the package here and save it to your computer.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the ROM to the root directory of your phone’s external storage (i.e., microSD storage).
- Launch the 4EXT Recovery Control application on your phone.
- Completely clean out your phone data. First, do a “Wipe data/factory reset.” Then, do a “Wipe cache.”
- Your phone now on a clean slate, select “Install zip from SD card”, then “Choose Zip from SD card.”
- Browse through the files on your microSD card’s root directory and pick the MIUI 4 Beta ROM archive. Confirm that you want to flash the file to your phone.
- Return to the app’s main menu.
- Select “Reboot system.”
Congratulations! You have successfully installed MIUI 4 Beta ROM (based on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich) on your HTC Desire HD.