Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to Update Your HTC Desire S to Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread
With the Gingerbread version all ready, there’s no surprise that a customized version of Ice Cream Sandwich will soon be available for the HTC Desire S. The Gingerbread update of the device already proves to show promising results and later on will be adopted by the HTC Desire S community.
If you can’t wait for HTC’s official announcement on the release date for the update, why don’t you try the latest unofficial update and see the results for yourself. As a precaution though, this update is not the official firmware from HTC. It is a modified version of HTC’s stock ROM with performance upgrades and smooth functionalities. Always remember that when you install this firmware, this is strictly for HTC Desire S phones only and will most likely not work on any similar HTC phones.
Follow the steps below to update your HTC Desire S to the latest Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread update.
- Rooted HTC Desire S
- Copy of 2.3.5 Gingerbread update
The most important step before you can install custom ROMs starts with a rooted phone. You can tell that your phone is rooted by checking your app drawer for the Superuser app or a Custom Recovery for HTC already installed. If everything is there then you’re good to go.
- Download the latest Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread unofficial update for HTC Desire S. Get the ZIP file here (about 330 MB).
- Connect your phone to the computer via the USB cable that comes along with it.
- Make sure that you don’t rename or modify the downloaded ZIP file as there is a high chance that the file may not install properly or does not get recognized once the installation begins. Copy the ZIP file to your phone’s SD card.
- Reboot your phone and enter recovery mode. You can enter recovery mode by simultaneously pressing the Volume Down and Power button keys when your device begins to boot.
Congratulations! You have successfully updated your HTC Desire S firmware to Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread. Did you try the steps above? How did it go for you? Do you notice any improvements with your phone’s performance by using the update?