The HTC Incredible S is a beast, but it’s more like one that’s chained and caged. To really feel its power, you need to root it. Surprisingly, it’s quite easy to do so. Here’s how.
First, before you can root your HTC Incredible S, you need to make your device “S-OFF” (this means SECURITY OFF). This allows you to overwrite system files, which is a requirement for rooting.
- HTC Incredible S
- Computer (Your OS must be Linux or Windows)
- USB data cable
To check if your device is S-OFF or S-ON, follow these steps:
- First, click on Menu. Then tap on Settings > Applications > Turn off Fast Boot.
- Then, turn off the phone.
- Hold Volume Down key and Power button simultaneously for a few seconds.
- This will reboot the phone and show you a white screen with some text. Check the first line to see if the phone is S-OFF or S-ON.
- Also take note of the number next to HBoot on screen. You will need that information later
Now, let’s move on to rooting and turning your phone to S-OFF.
- Using, your computer, download the Windows version of Revolutionary tool from this website: revolutionary.io (scroll down a bit until you see it). Remember to keep your browser windows open; you’ll need them later.
- Extract the zip file to a new folder using Winzip/Winrar.
- Connect your HTC Incredible S to your computer using its USB data cable, making sure USB Debugging is enabled on the phone. If that isn’t enabled yet, click Menu then tap on Settings > Applications> Development. Then make sure USB debugging is checked
- Open the extracted Revolutionary folder, then right-click on the file ‘revolutionary.exe’ inside (see above).
- Select ‘Run as Administrator’.
- Take note of the provided key you see when running the program.
- Go back to the original Revolutionary browser window, and fill in the information needed so you can get a second key. Use the HBoot number you got earlier here.
- Type the second key into the text box labeled “Serial number”.
- Once it says everything was successful, it will then ask if you want to flash Clockwork. Type in ‘Y’ to confirm.
- Once completed, reboot your HTC Incredible S.
- Check your phone once more using the procedure above to see if it’s already S-OFF. It should look like the image you see below.
- Next, download this file.
- Copy the downloaded file to the root of your SD card. Remember, don’t place it inside any folder since it needs to be located in the root to work.
- Unplug the USB cable of your phone.
- Turn it off.
- Hold the Volume Down button and press the Power button. Hboot will start.
- Using the Volume Down button, scroll down the choices until you highlight “RECOVERY”.
- Press the Power button to select that option and enter ClockworkMod recovery mode.
- Then, select “Install zip from sd card” from the options on screen.
- Select “Choose zip from sd card” then select “su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip”
- Afterwards, select “Yes – install su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip” to confirm
- When finished installing go back to the main menu and click reboot
- Pat yourself on the back (if you can reach it), you’ve finally rooted your HTC Incredible S!
One friendly note: follow all the steps in turn to ensure that you do a successful root. If you follow everything correctly, I’m sure you will be rooted in no time.
Also, remember to be careful when entering the serial numbers. They might have uppercase and lowercase letters, so make sure you get it right.
Sources: XDA Developers