Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to remove an OtterBox Case from your phone
OtterBox is a popular brand of protective cases for smartphones, providing durable defense from drops, scratches, and other potential hazards. However, removing an OtterBox case from your phone can sometimes be tricky. This step-by-step guide will walk you through taking off OtterBox cases of various styles safely and without damaging your phone.
To remove an OtterBox case, gently pry apart the layers or corners, working your way around the phone until the case is completely removed. Be patient and careful to avoid damaging the case or the phone.
How to remove an Otterbox case
Before you begin, make sure you have a clean, flat surface to work on, such as a table or countertop. You may also want a soft cloth or towel to place your phone on during the process to prevent scratches.
OtterBox offers several case styles, including the Defender, Commuter, and Symmetry series. Each series may have slight variations in its removal process. Identify which OtterBox case you have before proceeding with the removal steps.
- Remove the outer silicone layer: Start by peeling away the outer silicone layer from one corner of the case. Work your way around the edges, carefully lifting the silicone away from the hard plastic shell. Be gentle to avoid stretching or tearing the silicone.
- Separate the inner shell: Once the silicone layer is removed, you’ll see the internal hard plastic shell. Locate the tabs holding the shell together. Gently release each tab using your fingernail.
- Lift the phone out of the case: With all tabs released, gently separate the two halves of the inner shell and lift your phone out of the case.
- Remove the outer hard plastic shell: Locate the seam between the external hard plastic shell and the inner silicone layer. Carefully separate the two layers by gently prying the outer shell away from the silicone.
- Remove the inner silicone layer: With the outer shell removed, you can peel away the inner silicone layer. Start at one corner and gently work around the phone, lifting the silicone away from the device.
- Begin at a corner: The case is a single-piece construction with the Symmetry Series. Locate a corner of the case where the phone’s edge is most exposed. Gently pry the corner of the case away from the phone using your fingernail or a plastic spudger.
- Work around the edges: Once the first corner is free, continue working around the edges of the case, gently lifting and separating the case from the phone. Be patient and take your time, as this case can be snug.
After removing the OtterBox case, take a moment to inspect both your phone and the case for any signs of damage or wear. If you notice any issues, consider replacing the case or contacting OtterBox customer support for assistance.
It’s also a good idea to clean your phone and case if you plan to reuse it, as dust and debris can accumulate between the case and the phone. Use a microfiber cloth to wipe down your phone and case, removing dust or smudges. If necessary, you can also use a slightly damp cloth to clean the case, but thoroughly dry it before reassembling it.
Yes, you can remove the clip from an OtterBox Defender case. To do so, locate the small tab at the bottom of the clip and push it in while simultaneously sliding the clip up and off the case. It may take a bit of force, but be gentle and persistent, and it should come off.
To take off an OtterBox case easily, first locate the small tabs or buttons on the sides of the case. These are the release buttons that hold the case in place. Press and hold these buttons down while gently pulling the case away from your device. If you have a particularly tight-fitting case, you may need to use a bit more force, but be careful not to damage your device in the process. With a little bit of practice, you should be able to remove an OtterBox case quickly and easily.