Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to make your own stickers in WhatsApp
Stickers are an entertaining way to convey emotions or add pizzazz to a conversation. WhatsApp was a bit of a holdout compared to competing chat platforms like Telegram, but it finally added the ability to use stickers in 2018. However, the built-in WhatsApp sticker selection can be limiting, especially if you want to add some local flavor or an inside joke to a chat with friends or family. Here’s how you can create your own stickers on WhatsApp.
Read more: How to use WhatsApp: A step-by-step guide
WhatsApp hasn't launched an official sticker-maker app for Android or iPhone just yet, but you can rely on a range of third-party app options to make custom stickers. You can also use WhatsApp's web version to create custom stickers on your desktop.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
How to make WhatsApp stickers on Android
A beta version of WhatsApp mentions that a first-party app for creating stickers might be on the way, but you’ll have to rely on third-party apps to create your own stickers until the company rolls out its own solution.
If you want a straightforward way to add images to WhatsApp as stickers, Sticker.ly is one of many different options available. Sticker.ly is free and offers an assortment of stickers based on trending and popular topics, alongside the ability to create your own regular or animated stickers. The following steps should get you started with your own sticker pack in a matter of minutes.
- In Sticker.ly, tap the plus button and select regular or animated, depending on the type of sticker you want to create.
- Select your choice of image from the phone’s built-in storage.
- Either tap the auto button to automatically segment the image or use manual selection to mark out which portions of the image you would like to keep in the sticker.
- Tap next and add some text or emojis to the sticker.
- Give the sticker pack a unique name and tap add to WhatsApp.
- The sticker will now show up on WhatsApp.
How to make WhatsApp stickers on iPhone
Like Android devices, you’ll need an app to create WhatsApp stickers on an iPhone. Searching the iOS app store pops up many options, but Top Stickers is my preferred app. Like Sticker.ly, you’ll find a curated collection of stickers included here, but making your own stickers is just as easy.
- In Top Stickers, tap the create button.
- Select single or multiple images from your photo gallery.
- You can use the magic wand tool to remove the background or add text and borders on the next screen.
- Tap done to create a new sticker pack and add it to WhatsApp.
Using WhatsApp web on the desktop (beta)
Recently, WhatsApp added support for creating stickers for beta channel users. The option has now been rolled out for more users over the last few weeks, and making your own WhatsApp sticker is as easy as tapping the sticker tab in a chat and clicking the create button. You can then upload an image and make edits, like adding emojis or text. Click send to create and share the sticker.
Not yet. However, it appears that WhatsApp is working on its own app for sharing stickers. We’ll update this article when that feature rolls out.