Thanks to the hard work of the Android developer and enthusiast community, users of the HTC Desire can now enjoy an Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM. The development of this custom ROM has yielded fast and successful results, especially with ICS’s popularity and the public availability of its source code.
Though some users are waiting for stable ICS builds, other devices are already enjoying ICS. It was about time that the HTC Desire got its preview of Ice Cream Sandwich. The ROM developed by XDA member Sandvold may still have a few kinks that need to be ironed out, but it is definitely functional enough to be used daily.
Though currently you cannot use your device’s camera, and there are a few unusable USB Mass Storage functions (e.g., USB tethering), the rest of the ROM is functional. To install this custom ROM, your HTC Desire has to be rooted. Rooting your phone also voids your warranty, so please be advised.
To update to this ICS custom ROM, you’ll need the following:
- A rooted HTC Desire
- ClockWorkMod installed
- ICS Beta 0.1.1 for HTC Desire
Before you continue, please make sure to back up the data on your device in case these may be lost during the update process. Also, make sure your phone has a charge of at least 70% to prevent the phone from shutting off during the update process.
Once you’ve got all the requirements, we can now proceed to installing this ROM. Follow the steps below:
- Download the ROM from here and save it to your computer.
- Copy it, without altering it or unzipping it, into the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Boot your device into recovery mode. You can do this by turning your HTC Desire off and holding down both the Volume Down button and the Power button. Navigate using the volume buttons and select choices by pressing the trackpad button.
- When the phone goes into recovery mode, make a Nandroid backup. Do not touch your device while it is backing up data.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset.”
- Select “Wipe Cache.”
- Select “Wipe Dalvik Cache.”
- Navigate to “Install Zip from SDCard.”
- Choose “Select Zip from SDCard” and select the ZIP file you copied to your phone. The updating process will begin immediately.
- Once the ROM is flashed, simply reboot your device.
Your HTC Desire is now running the beta version of Ice Cream Sandwich for the HTC Desire. Improvements may still be in the works, such as finally getting a functional camera, but until then, enjoy the taste of Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC Desire.