Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to Install Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on the Samsung Nexus S
Owners of the Samsung Nexus S can now enjoy the latest Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on their phones. Google has finally released an over-the-air update package for the Nexus S. Some have already received the update, while others are still waiting for it to arrive on their phones.
Unfortunately, the update seems to be only for the T-Mobile and retail variants of the Nexus S. This means that the update does not support the AT&T variant of the Nexus S yet.
If you can’t wait to get your hands on the newest Android experience, we have provided a step-by-step guide on how to manually update your Nexus S from Gingerbread to the sweetest Ice Cream Sandwich.
Take note of the following important things you need to know before you proceed with the updating process:
- This update supports T-Mobile and retail (GSM) versions of the Nexus S. If you have the AT&T variant or the CDMA variant of the Nexus S, the procedure below may not work.
- If you have rooted your Nexus S or have a device running a rooted stock ROM, you will need to unroot it because the update will fail on a rooted devices. Revert to a stock Gingerbread ROM before proceeding with the update.
- Update your Nexus S at your own risk. We will not be held responsible for any malfunction or damage arising from your use of the information provided in this post.
If you’re all set to update your Nexus S, then follow the instructions below for updating your mobile phone to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich:
- Download the Android 4.0.3 ICS OTA package update here.
- Rename the downloaded ZIP file to update.zip.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the ZIP file into your phone’s internal storage.
- After saving the files, disconnect your phone from the PC and turn off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into bootloader mode by holding the Volume Up key and Power button simultaneously.
- Once booted into bootloader mode, select Recovery from the menu to initiate recovery mode. Use the volume keys to navigate between options and the Power button to select an option.
- When the warning triangle and arrow pops up, press and hold the Power button and then tap the Volume Up key.
- A menu will appear. Select “Apply update from /sdcard” and choose update.zip. The update process will start immediately.
- Once the update is completed, reboot your phone and get ready for Android 4.0.3 ICS on your Samsung Nexus S.
Did our step-by-step guide work perfectly on your Nexus S? How good is Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your mobile phone?