Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to Install Android 3.2 Custom ROM (Taboonay) on Your Acer Iconia Tab A500
I remember when the sweetest version of Android–Android 3.0 Honeycomb–was first released months ago, enthusiasts went crazy and were dying to have their own fill of Honeycomb.
It was still Android 3.0 back then, but it was already oozing with awesome features. The most recent version of Honeycomb is 3.2, which can tell you a lot about bleeding-edge features for tablets.
Some tablets have the misfortune of being loaded only with an earlier version of Android (e.g., Froyo and Gingerbread), while some newer tablets are blessed with Honeycomb. Among the Honeycomb tablets, most are still stuck with version 3.0. But, luckily for the Acer Iconia Tab A500, Android enthusiasts at the XDA Developers site have come up with Taboonay, a custom ROM for Android 3.2 Honeycomb for the Acer Iconia Tab A500.
Load up Taboonay on the Acer Iconia Tab A500, and you’ll have instant access the following tweaks and power options brought about by the custom Android 3.2 ROM:
- CPU frequency & governor based on screenstate
- OptiPNG-ed and zipaligned apps to cut their size and make the most of its memory
- Sys R/O, Sys R/W
- Insecure boot
- Kernel tweaks
- Optimized lowmemkiller settings
- Mount (Ext4) tweaks
- Modded host file for ads filter
- Added PolarisOffice (From Asus)
- NTFS support (with custom kernel)
- HFS support (with custom kernel)
- Dalvik optimized
- Internet tweaks
- DRM service disabled
- All apps updated
- Motorola boot animation
- Wi-Fi Channel 12-13 and Ad hoc support added
- Google Music updated to 3.0.2
- TabooTools included (custom app)
Do you want to know how to put Taboonay and Android 3.2 Honeycomb on your Acer Iconia Tab A500? This guide will show you how.
Disclaimer: Before you attempt to do this hack, please make sure you have sufficient experience with rooting, hacking or flashing. Android Authority disclaims all liability for any harm that may befall your device, including, but not limited to, bricked phones, voided manufacturer warranties, exploding batteries, etc.
What You Need
- A fully rooted Acer Iconia A500. If in case you haven’t rooted your device yet, follow this guide on how to.
- ClockworkMod Recovery. To install the ClockworkMod Recovery, download Acer Recovery Installer from the Android Market and install it on your device. ClockworkMod Recovery will then be installed, as well.
- Taboonay v2.0 ROM
What To Do
- Download the latest version of Taboonay from the link provided above and save it in a folder on your desktop.
- Connect your Acer Iconia A500 to the computer via USB.
- Copy the Taboonay file from the computer to the root of your SD card.
- Reboot your device into recovery mode. You can do this by turning off the device first, then turning it back on by pressing and holding the Volume Down button, then the Power button until you can see some text on the upper left corner of the screen.
- On the recovery menu, select Backup and Restore » Nand Backup then follow the directions on the screen. This will create a Nandroid backup.
Your Acer Iconia Tab A500 now runs custom Android 3.2 Honeycomb. Now, go ahead and take full advantage of Android 3.2 on your Acer Iconia Tab A500.