Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to Enable Webtop on Your Droid Razr Using Only an HDMI Cable
When Motorola first launched the Atrix 4G, we got a first glimpse of what the awesome Webtop technology can do. Since its introduction, Motorola has been carrying the Webtop banner running the proprietary technology in many Motorola phones including the Droid Razr.
Webtop technology allows you to extend your phone’s capabilities and enable it to do just about everything that a normal computer could do. A smartphones like the Motorola Droid Razr with its 1.2 GHz dual-core processor can do many things but is limited to its small 4.3-inch screen. Admit it–there are just some things that are better done on a bigger screen–like watching HD movies, perhaps?
Motorola’s implementation of its proprietary Webtop technology can unleash your phone’s true potential. Just simply dock your Motorola phone to any Webtop-enabled accessory and you’re good to go. Enjoy the same functionalities of having a full-fledge computer right in front of you. Surf the Internet using Firefox, connect to your friends via Facebook, or watch a movie on a larger screen. The possibilities are endless once you get connected.
While older Motorola devices such as the Atrix 4G had already promised support for the technology, more recent devices like the flagship Motorola Droid Razr are not yet compatible unless you buy yourself those pricey Motorola branded docks. Thankfully, the guys at XDA Developers have managed to whip out a hack to enable the Webtop feature on your device by simply using an HDMI cable. This can actually save you money because you won’t need to buy those pricey dock accessories.
So what does this mod do? Basically, it removes the device ID string check from PortalApp enabling the Webtop option in Dockservice to be available. This hack is like fooling your phone into thinking that the HDMI cable is the same as the proprietary hardware from Motorola.
Continue reading to know how you can enable Webtop on your Motorola Droid Razr using only an HDMI cable.
- A rooted Motorola Droid Razr
- Custom Recovery installed on the Droid Razr
- Webtop mod file for the Droid Razr
- Download WebtopMod-RAZR.zip from here and save it to your computer.
- Copy the unmodified ZIP file to the root of your SD card.
- Reboot your phone into recovery mode. Make a Nandroid backup to ensure that all of your important files will be saved. In case of a failed installation, you can easily revert to the state where your phone was functioning normally.
- Select “wipe cache” and “wipe dalvik cache” from the options.
- After the cleaning process, select “install zip from sdcard” then “choose zip from sdcard”. Locate the ZIP file that you have copied earlier. Once the file is selected, the installation process will begin. It may take up to 5 – 10 minutes for the installation to finish.
- Once the file is flashed, reboot your phone to apply the patch.
You have just successfully patched your Motorola Droid Razr to run Webtop features without using an expensive Motorola accessory dock. You may now try plugging in your device with an HDMI cable.