Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to delete your Twitter account
Twitter is a wonderful social media network in many ways, but it’s not without its controversy. Things are about to get even more interesting now that Twitter is being bought out by Elon Musk. While the change excites some, others fear the changes that might eventually come to the network. While it’s likely to be business as usual for a while, maybe you’ve already had enough of Twitter, and this seals the deal on moving to another platform. Regardless of your reasons, if you want to know how to deactivate a Twitter account, you’re in the right place.
Read more: 10 best Twitter apps for Android
To delete your Twitter account on the desktop and the Twitter mobile app, go to More-->Settings and Privacy-->Your Account-->Deactivate your account.
JUMP TO KEY SECTIONS
How to delete your Twitter account on your phone
It’s very easy to delete your Twitter account from a phone.
- Sign in to Twitter and tap your profile icon in the top left corner.
- The side menu contains an option called Settings and Privacy. Tap it.
- From here, select Your account > Deactivate your account.
- Now you’ll want to specify the reactivation period. What does that mean? In short, you can choose if you want everything deleted in 30 days or a year. This gives you time to reactivate if you change your mind about ending your relationship with Twitter. Once you’ve selected your option, tap Deactivate.
- You’ll be asked for your password to confirm. Confirm and tap Deactivate once more.
How to delete your Twitter account on your PC
If you prefer to deactivate from a PC, you’d start by going to Twitter.com and logging in. From there:
- Click More at the bottom-left of the screen.
- Go to Settings and Privacy > Your Account.
- At the bottom of the list, you’ll find Deactivate your account. Click it.
- You’ll be asked to choose a reactivation period of either 30 days or a year, giving you a chance to reactivate if you change your mind — before everything is deleted.
- You’ll be asked to confirm your password and then hit Deactivate once more.
How to unlink third-party apps from your Twitter account
Following the steps above, you should now have a deactivated Twitter account, but there’s one more important step. If you have ever linked third-party apps to Twitter, some of these apps may have permissions that allow them to reactivate your account.
To stop this, you’ll need to revoke permissions from these apps. Sign in to Twitter and go to Settings and Privacy > Security and account access > Apps and sessions > Connected apps. This will give you a list of all linked apps, and you can go through each one at a time to revoke permissions.
Read more: Twitter not working? Here are some fixes
Go to Twitter.com or the Twitter app, and enter your login. You’ll be asked if you wish to reactivate your account. Choose Reactivate.
Depending on what Reactivation Period you choose, you’ll have either 30 days or a whole year to change your mind. If that time elapses, you’ll have to make a whole new account.