Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
We asked, you told us: You are not thrilled about switching to YouTube Music
Google made an announcement this week regarding its mess of music streaming services. YouTube Music users will soon be able to transfer their local music libraries from Google Play Music with just a single tap, making YouTube Music that much more powerful. However, Google also let us know that Play Music would be shuttered by the end of the year. That, unsurprisingly, is proving to be an unpopular decision.
I know a lot of Android Authority readers are Google Play Music subscribers, so I asked you if you were planning on switching to YouTube Music. Out of over 5,300 total votes across the website and Twitter, there’s a clear winner here.
Google Play Music users: Are you switching to YouTube Music?
A massive 42.58% of Google Play Music users do not like YouTube Music and will not switch to the service. I can’t say I blame them — YouTube Music is still half-baked compared to Play Music, and many think it’s nothing more than a way for Google to keep YouTube minutes rolling in.
Roughly 22% of Android Authority readers have already switched to YouTube Music, while 12% are going to give it a try once more features are available. Another 22% of voters are entirely on the fence.
Notably, nearly half of all Twitter voters said they’re not switching to YouTube Music, while closer to 30% of website voters say they’re not switching. In general, website voters seem to be much more welcoming to YouTube Music, while Twitter users seem to be all-in on other music services already.
Here’s what you had to say
Here are some of the best comments from last week’s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:
- Ethan Sanchez: I feel like there’s a hyper train to hating YouTube music even though many haven’t in dwelled for at least a week. I actually grown to like it way more than gpm
- Billy Joseph: If it weren’t for the fact that I get YouTube premium, YT music and GPM for the whole family I would have switched to Spotify a long time ago 😕
- Antony: YouTube is still packing features from GPM. Even only the upload songs part, YTM lacks song info edit and auto fill, download uploaded songs, and play count. When Google is saying they are gonna deliver something better, they deliver something half baked and half as good.
- Steven Iams: should option #5 be “we don’t have a choice”?
- Shizuma: Nope, not until i’m forced to anyways, I’ve tried it and it’s terrible compared to play music, and that’s saying a lot since it’s not like play music is that good as it is.
- John Wentworth: I will switch because really I don’t have another choice. I’d rather stay with GPM but we all know that is going to be axed soon. The icons in YT Music are too damn big. Grr
- james eriksen: I have both installed, and I’ve kind of switched to Youtube Music, but for there’s no way to upload audio, so still using Google Play Music for that. I’ve always found the recommendations to be worthless in either app.
- Learjet: I transitioned from GPM to YouTube Music a few months ago for the most part. I am impressed and now that my 40,000 uploaded songs are going to be in the YTM music locker I’m especially excited. The music locker is why I will never subscribe to any of the other popular services. Having my personal music collection available at my fingertips (on Android Auto, especially) is incredibly convenient.
- James E.: I have had Google Music since it first debuted — I was an original G1 user from back in the day. When Google started pushing YouTube music I dropped them for Apple Music.
- EeZeEpEe: I’ve been using YouTube Music as my main streaming service every since it became available within Android Auto. The switch to it was always inevitable and the only reason I kept Google Play Music was to playback old workout videos that I ripped the audio from DVDs.
That’s it for this week. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below!