Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Google Glass receives new XE5 update, brings Google+ notifications and more
Google Glass is still a very young product, one that will likely evolve considerably between now and its official commercial release. Most of these changes will have to do with the software side of Glass, as seen with the new XE5 update that arrived on Tuesday.
The XE5 update brings with it several new features including the ability to receive incoming G+ notifications, as well as comment and even +1 posts.
Another important change has to do with improving battery life estimation, as there have been reports that Google Glass doesn’t accurately gauge how much juice is left in the headset’s batteries.
While we already touched on some of the more exciting features in the update, here’s the full changelog:
- Change to sync policy: require power + WiFi for background uploads
- Crash reporting
- Incoming G+ notifications (direct shares, comments, +mentions), including ability to comment and +1
- Incoming Hangout notifications
- Transcription of queries & messages is now wicked-fast
- Long-press to search from anywhere in the UI (no longer just from off)
- International number dialing + SMS
- Hop animation on disallowed swipes in the UI
- New On-Head Detection calibration flow
- Show device Serial Number on Device Info card
- More reliable estimation of battery charge remaining
- New recipient-list mosaic
For the few of you that currently have a Google Glass wearable computer, you will need to plug your headset into the charger before you can snag the upgrade.
For the rest of us without Glass, the most important takeaway is that Google is working hard to improve the Glass experience in time for a wider commercial release. This might not take away from the sting of having to wait to get our hands on Google’s wearable computing solution, but at least we know that by the time we get it, there will be many more features and apps for us to take advantage of.
What do you think of the updates found in XE5? What other new features and changes do you hope to see by the time Google Glass is released to the public?