Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to use Google Duo Effects and Filters
Google Duo is one of the easiest, most popular chat apps available. It’s perfect for keeping in touch with your friends and family, and it comes with some fun features to make video chats more interesting. Two of those features are Google Duo’s Filters and Effects. Here is what Effects and Filters are capable of and everything you need to know about how to use them.
Want to learn more about Google Duo? Check out our guide explaining what it is and how to use it.
What are Google Duo Effects and Filters?
Google Duo’s Effects and Filters are two video modifying features that add a little bit of pizzazz to any video recording or video chat. Filters let users add simple color overlays on top of their video recordings, including several different colored options and a black and white filter.
Related: How to use Google Duo
On the other hand, Effects work more like Samsung’s AR Emoji or Apple’s Animoji. They allow the user to turn themselves into a fish, flower, astronaut, or a plethora of other fun options. Effects are easily the more interesting of the two, and they are available when sending a video message and during live video chats. Filters are only available when sending video messages.
Google also adds new Filters and Effects to Duo during holidays, special events, and different seasons, so you can expect new additions as the year goes on.
How to use Effects and Filters when sending a video message
Effects and Filters are super easy to use when sending a Google Duo video message to someone. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Google Duo app and permit it to access your microphone, camera, and contacts if you haven’t already.
- Swipe down on the middle of the screen to record a message.
- On the right-hand side of the UI, you’ll see the Filters and Effects buttons.
- Tap on the Filters button to check out the different color overlays you can record your video with.
- Tap on the Effects button to see which visual effects you can apply to yourself and your environment.
- Record your message with the Filter or Effect, and send it away!
How to use Google Duo Effects during a video chat
Unfortunately, Filters aren’t available to users during live video chats. Effects, on the other hand, are available in this case. Here’s how to use them:
- Open the Google Duo app.
- Start a video chat with someone.
- At the bottom right of the UI, tap the three vertical dots.
- Navigate to Effects on the far right of the pop-up menu.
- Have fun jumping between the different Effects.
There you have it. That’s everything you need to know about Google Duo Filters and Effects.
Are you still looking for more video chat related content, tips, and tricks? We’ve got you covered: