Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Upgrading the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500 to Android 3.2 Honeycomb XWKL1 firmware
Though no official Ice Cream Sandwich update has emerged for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi + 3G GT-P7500, a new Honeycomb update has arrived. XWKL1 is the latest leaked Android 3.2 Honeycomb firmware and comes rooted already. This update should tide us all over until Ice Cream Sandwich finally lands.
This update is only for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500 (Wi-Fi + 3G). You can find your device’s model number through Settings > About Tablet. If your tablet is not a Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7500, we highly discourage from attempting to flash this update as it may lead to bricking.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500
- A Windows PC
- Flashing this update may delete important data on your Galaxy Tab 10.1, so make sure to create a backup of your important phone data and files.
- If you have Samsung KIES on your computer, close it and don’t let it run in the background.
- Install the Samsung USB drivers on your computer. Download the installer from here (GT-p7510_USB_Driver_v1_3_2360_0-Escape.exe, 22 MB).
- Disable all security software on your computer (e.g., antivirus, firewall).
- Download the XWKL1 firmware update (P7500XWKL1_P7500XEUKL1_P7500XXKL3_HOME_ROOT.exe, 343 MB)
NOTE: Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not be responsible if you damage your tablet by using these instructions.
- Double-click on P7500XWKL1_P7500XEUKL1_P7500XXKL3_HOME_ROOT.exe. It is a self-extracting archive and will ask you for a folder to extract its contents to. Extract it to a folder on your Desktop. After extraction, you should see the following files:
- Odin3 v1.85.exe
- Switch off your Galaxy Tab 10.1.
- Boot your Galaxy Tab 10.1 into Download Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Down and Power keys and release them once you see a menu. From there, press the Volume Up button.
- On your computer, double-click on Odin3 v1.85.exe to launch it.
- Connect your Galaxy Tab 10.1 to your computer via the USB cable. In the Odin3 window, you should get the “Added!” message in the box in the lower-left side.
- If you don’t get this message, there may be something wrong with the drivers. Make sure you’ve properly installed them.
- In Odin3, click the PDA button and navigate to where you extracted the XWLK1 firmware files.
- Select P7500XWKL1_P7500XEUKL1_P7500XXKL3_HOME_ROOT.tar.md5.
- Do not make any changes to Odin3’s settings.
- Hit the Start button in Odin3 to begin flashing.
- If flashing is successful, the upper leftmost box in Odin should light up in green with a “Pass!” message.
- If Odin freezes or doesn’t seem to be doing anything, or if you receive a “Failed” message in the upper leftmost box in the Odin3 window with a red background, then you’ll need to do the following:
- Disconnect Galaxy Tab 10.1 from the computer.
- Close Odin.
- Remove the Galaxy Tab 10.1 battery.
- Re-insert the battery.
- Repeat the procedure from step 4.
Congratulations! Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500 has now been upgraded to Android 3.2 Honeycomb firmware XWKL1.