Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to increase the internal SD card space of the Galaxy S3 I9300
We use our smartphones for thousands of things but that could also mean more apps eating up our precious storage space. That’s exactly the problem of the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300’s 16 GB of internal storage space. Even with its expandable memory, downloaded apps will still be stored in your internal storage by default. However, there is hope for us. Thanks to the XDA Developers forum, there is now a mod that will allow users to increase the size of their internal storage.
Developed by XDA Developers member mattiadj, the ExtSd2InternalSd mod works by simply swapping your internal and external SD cards. Say goodbye to your measly 16 GB storage and enjoy 32, or even 64 GB, of space. It works for all AOKP and AOSP based ROMs but unfortunately not for CM10 and CM9 releases.
This guide shows you how to increase the internal SD card space of the Galaxy S3 I9300.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S3, model number GT-I9300. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 with root access, ClockworkMod Recovery installed, and a custom kernel with init.d support. You must not be running a CyanogenMod 9 or CyanogenMod 10 ROM.
- Check out our guide on how to root the Galaxy S3 and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Download the appropriate file of this modification:
- SD Card MOD Kernel
- For SD Cards with 32 GB storage and lower: Mod for fat32 Sd Card for custom kernel (extsd2internalsd_gs3_fat32.zip, 127 KB) to your computer.
- For SD Cards with a storage capacity above 32 GB: Mod for exfat Sd Card for custom kernel (extsd2internalsd_gs3_extfat.zip, 127 KB) to your computer.
- SiyahKernel (Siyah-s3-v1.8.4-CWM.zip, md5sum: ecf1d8afe54d25a71c57d0aa9b13281b)
- SD Card MOD Kernel
- Make sure your device’s battery still has at least 70% power. You don’t want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
Formatting the SD card
- Remove your external SD card from your phone.
- Plug your SD card into an SD card reader then connect it to your computer.
- Make a backup of your files.
- Format your SD card. (The instructions below assume you’re using Windows.)
- Right-click on the SD card icon and select Format from the drop-down menu.
- Format the SD card as fat32 if it’s 32 GB or below, or format it as exfat if it’s 64 GB.
- Set size to default.
- Click Format and wait until formatting is done.
- Check if the formatting is successful. To do this, right-click on the SD card file and select Properties.
- Plug your SD card back into your phone.
Swapping external and internal SD cards
- Copy the appropriate ZIP and SiyahKernel files to your phone’s internal SD card.
- Turn off your phone.
- Put the phone in Recovery Mode by holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons at the same time.
- NOTE: While in Recovery Mode, use the Volume Buttons to navigate and the Power button to select options.
- Optional: Do a full wipe prior to installation of a new custom ROM (any ROM but not CM10 or CM9 releases).
- Select Wipe Data/ Factory Reset > Yes.
- Select Wipe Cache > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache > Yes.
- Optional: Install your new ROM. Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card and select the file.
- Flash SiyahKernel by selecting Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card. Select Siyah-s3-v1.8.4-CWM.zip from the list of items.
- Repeat step 6 to flash the the mod file.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Move your files from the SD card memory to the phone memory so that all your apps and games will still work.
Reverting to Default SD cards
- Download ES File Explorer from the Google Play Store.
- Launch the app and go to Settings.
- Select Root Explorer and tap Yes.
- Select Mount File System.
- Go back and navigate into /etc/init.d.
- Delete 11extsd2internalsd.
- Restart your phone.
Hooray! You have successfully increased your internal storage thanks to the ExtSd2InternalSd mod! You can now install more apps and games on your Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. Let us know what you think about this mod in a comment below.