Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300: Installing the stock ICS Keyboard
When the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 came out of production, it came with Samsung’s custom keyboard, leaving phone users unable to enjoy the advantages (or disadvantages) of the stock ICS keyboard.
The stock ICS keyboard has been considered one of the best keyboard apps for Android, giving users the joy of typing by providing an almost perfect space between letters, better word prediction and typing correction, and more.
But, worry not. Developers have found ways to install and enable the stock ICS keyboard on the Galaxy S3.
Here are the steps you need to do to install the stock Android 4.0 keyboard on your Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S3, model number GT-I9300. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 with a file manager app installed (e.g., ES File Explorer)
- Unknown Sources should be enabled in Settings > Security Menu > Unknown Sources. This will allow you to install applications from third-party sources.
- Make sure your phone’s battery is charged to 60% or more. This will ensure that your phone will not turn off during the installation process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your data (eg., contacts, SMS, MMS, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases some data.
- Download the stock Android 4.0 Keyboard APK file (LatinIME.apk, 11.73 MB)
- Copy the downloaded APK file to your phone’s SD card.
- Launch your file manager app of choice on your phone.
- Locate the LatinIME.apk file from your SD Card.
- Tap the file to start installation. The process will be completed in less than a minute.
- Open Settings > Language and Input, and click on the checkbox just beside “Android Keyboard.” This will activate the stock ICS keyboard.
- Upon typing, drag down the notification bar, tap the Choose Input Method button, and select Android Keyboard.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the stock Android 4.0 Keyboard on your Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300.